How To Wire Fondant/gum Paste Flowers?

Decorating By kristab84 Updated 23 Feb 2012 , 12:51pm by kristab84

kristab84 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 12:51am
post #1 of 4

I am a complete NEWBIE and need your advice!! I have been reading that you can't use any old wire to attach your flowers to your cake (which makes complete sense!!). What I'm wondering is what type of wiring are you all using and where do you purchase them? Thanks!

3 replies
Goreti Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 1:34am
post #2 of 4

I buy floral wire. Different flowers need a different gauge. After covering the wire in floral tape, I then put them in a wide straw (I believe they are called bubble tea straws). I fill the straw with a little frosting to help keep the flowers in place. This way the wires are not touching the cake.

step0nmi Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 1:37am
post #3 of 4

I actually purchase floral wire and/or coated wire that you can find in the jewelry section. kinda the same as what Goreti said above...if you wrap them in floral tape first you will get this stickiness and more of a thickness to it before you stick them into a straw that can go in the cake.

when i attach my gumpaste/fondant flowers or butterflies to the wire i use chocolate!

kristab84 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys! That helps a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%