Gold Icing!

Baking By tam37 Updated 23 Jan 2014 , 5:20pm by Claire138

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 11:55pm
post #31 of 36

AMarvel, I checked out that link you posted. Now that is cool!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 12:38am
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriaashley 

I had to look at the picture again, I didn't see non-toxic on the side, because I'm used to seeing it on the bottom. I'm thankful for those of you on this site who DO know what you're talking about, as you've helped me from following others who see something pretty and use it without researching it. icon_smile.gif

I should have started another paragraph when I mentioned the thing about pretty pictures, etc. That was not directed at you even a little. It's obvious you're doing your due diligence by actually bothering to read the bottles you have. But all over this board are recommendations to use non-edible luster dust and it just boggles my mind. It's misleading a whole lot of people.

And that particular blog, has some really wrong information on it in my opinion.  Someone posted a link to it the other day siting it as something to use for how to price cookies. This person, who is telling the world that luster dust is edible, also actually tells people to charge very low prices for cookies. There's a whole chart based on level of decoration and size. It doesn't say, here's what I charge, but instead, here's "what to charge". I can't tell if she's still selling cookies, but at those prices, it certainly wouldn't be worthwhile. However, the blog is very successful, judging from the advertisers.

I browsed through and the first business advice I ran across was terribly, terribly wrong. But it was very "rainbows and roses" and the whole site couldn't be better designed  to serve up what people want to hear.

It seems to be very successful blog, and even references over seas visitors and converting recipes to metrics. I'm starting wonder if people using her pricing chart is why I'm out of the cookie business.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 6:02am
post #33 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Thanks, I'd love to hear what you think!.  Maybe that it's out of stock is a good sign.:-D 

I hope so.  I suspect the aztec gold has that color we are all looking for.  I think silver is even harder to get that metallic look without using silver leaf.  It always seems dull.  We shall see :)

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 4:44pm
post #34 of 36

What about Americolors Gold sheen?  I have used it on fondant many times, but not on buttercream.  The gold cake I posted earlier has such a vibrant gold, I dont know if enough coats of the airbrush gold could produce the same effect.  Has anyone tried it?

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 5:12pm
post #35 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisamarie 

What about Americolors Gold sheen?  I have used it on fondant many times, but not on buttercream.  The gold cake I posted earlier has such a vibrant gold, I dont know if enough coats of the airbrush gold could produce the same effect.  Has anyone tried it?

Given the rough icing effect on that cake I believe it is airbrushed.  It even looks like Americolor gold sheen (I have some).  It's a little darker gold than the Aztec gold cookie from Sugarbelle.  I know there's videos showing airbrushing on butter cream - one is by Wilton.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 5:20pm
post #36 of 36

It looks like airbrush, it's very hard to get it that even if it's painted on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%