Tie Dye Cupcakes And Frosting.. Little Help..

Baking By trishalynn0708 Updated 9 May 2013 , 8:12pm by CakeRae80

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 7

I am making tie dye cupcakes for my niece to take to school on Friday for her birthday.. I was just curious as to what colors I should use?? I have both Wilton and Americolor food coloring. I want really bright colors and I know most of the time when I am mixing colors it is frustrating! So anyone know of colors I could use to get bright tie dye colors??

Also, would you suggest I load a bag with multiple colors or should I do each color in a separate bag and do swirls and then blend them with a toothpick??

6 replies
dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 7

Americolor has some very bright colors, electric purple, electric green, pink, etc and they turn out very pretty. The one time I made cupcakes like that, I put purple, teal, green, yellow and pink in a large piping bag. The first few swirls might not come out right but the rest come out beautiful. Just be careful to leave room for all the colors.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 7

I make rainbow colored cake a lot. I've never thought to put them all in the same bag, I would worry about blending colors...but I do it the old fashioned way.
I use amicolor, I divide my batter into bowls and use red, pink, blue, purple, green, yellow, orange....so forth Then I drop them into the pan by spoonfuls, gives a nice rainbow effect.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2259949/rainbow-cake-pops?sub=2259951

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 7

I do the same thing as Debbye27. To do the frosting, I made bullets with 3-4 different colors and put them all in a piping bag and swirled on cupcake. They are in my pics. HTH.

Karen

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:41am
post #5 of 7

I am actually making tie dye cupcakes this weekend for my boyfriend's cousin's birthday!

I was planning on either using 4 different bags shoved into a bigger bag or try putting them all in one bag side by side.

I was thinking of using, green, purple, yellow, blue, and a little red.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 9 May 2013 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 7

I am going to try tie dye icing cupcakes, can you tell me what is a bullet? 

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 9 May 2013 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 7

I made tie dyed cupcakes for my daughter last year for her conformation class which was on her birthday. I used box cake mix (which took 2 boxes for I believe it was only 15 cupcakes). But I mixed the mix up and then I put it into separate bowls and added my colors. I used actual food color (the McCormick neon) and did purple, pink, blue and green.  I then layered the colors until the cupcake liners were filled.  I also used store bought icing (I know a BIG NO NO) but this was before I did cakes! I divided that between bowls and colored them the same colors I used for the cupcakes. Again with just food color.... But I put the icing 3 colors into a bag and swirled it onto the cupcake. I didn't fill the bag real full, so when it ran out, I'd just pop 3 more colors into the bag & so on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%