Do You Give A Discount On Multiple Dozens?

Baking By Debbye27 Updated 23 Feb 2012 , 6:06pm by Apti

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
First off, I am not a business yet!! But I did get a grant from a company to start out a few months ago - after a very long application proces...and probably will be a legal business by end of year.....that being said.

The company wants to order cupcakes from me for a media event! At first I told them no charge - I mean come on, you just handed me a nice check 5 months ago...but they insist on paying me for the cupcakes.

They want 3 dozen cupcakes, and I want to wow them with each dozen being a different theme...but wasn't sure what to quote.. I was wondering what real business do when someone orders multiple dozens. Since they are paying I want to be compensated for ingredients, materials, and a portion of my time (I'm still slow!)
So I was considering 2.00 or 2.50 a cupcake...for a regular sized cupcake (not sure if I'm going to do a filling) and then icing with either fondant or modeling chocolate accents.

Question is - do you discount multiple dozens? and do you have any suggestions or ideas for amazing cupcake designs? I was even considering high hats, although they aren't as pretty as a decorated cupcake..

8 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 9

I would never discount for a 1 time order regardless of the number of dozens they order. It doesn't cost you less I. Material, ingredients or time to make 3 dozen instead of two. I think it's Leah who says the only bulk discount she offers is for standing orders such as 3 dozen every month or something like that.
you need to calculate your cost before you calculate your prices. I'm glad they're paying you. It's important to establish that professional relationship from the beginning. Especially with the company who gave you the grant.

There are so many amazing cupcake designs out there I don't know where to tell you to start .

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 9

For larger orders (20 dozen+) we will sometimes throw in extra cupcakes if we have some left over, but no discount. 3 dozen is not a big order.

As said above regular customers that order on a weekly basis (or monthly if the order is big enough) might get a small break.

Debbye27 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

For larger orders (20 dozen+) we will sometimes throw in extra cupcakes if we have some left over, but no discount. 3 dozen is not a big order.

That is perfect advice! I will throw in any extra cupcakes the batter makes - thanks- only because it's the company who helped me get started.... and I want to do something nice!

and 20 dozen! WOW! for a beginner, 3 doz is pretty big - 20 is GINORMOUS icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:29am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

Hi,
First off, I am not a business yet!! But I did get a grant from a company to start out a few months ago - after a very long application proces...and probably will be a legal business by end of year.....that being said.

The company wants to order cupcakes from me for a media event! At first I told them no charge - I mean come on, you just handed me a nice check 5 months ago...but they insist on paying me for the cupcakes.

They want 3 dozen cupcakes, and I want to wow them with each dozen being a different theme...but wasn't sure what to quote.. I was wondering what real business do when someone orders multiple dozens. Since they are paying I want to be compensated for ingredients, materials, and a portion of my time (I'm still slow!)
So I was considering 2.00 or 2.50 a cupcake...for a regular sized cupcake (not sure if I'm going to do a filling) and then icing with either fondant or modeling chocolate accents.

Question is - do you discount multiple dozens? and do you have any suggestions or ideas for amazing cupcake designs? I was even considering high hats, although they aren't as pretty as a decorated cupcake..

First off, congrats!

As far as design goes, if they have a simple logo you may be able to incorporate it on fondant discs to put on top of cupcakes?

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 4:44am
post #6 of 9

I have a punchcard that my clients can use each time they order cupcakes. The 5th dozen is 50% and then the 10th dozen is BOGO. Big orders like weddings and such can use the card (or in some cases, multiple cards) too

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 5:15am
post #7 of 9

Congratulations on succeeding with the grant process, I know it is not easy.

What type of cupcakes will you be making, fondant or buttercream or a combination of both?

Here's a thread I've bookmarked entitled: "looking for the most beautiful cupcakes you've ever seen"

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=733653&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

That should give you all the inspiration you could ever want. Good luck with the order.

$2.00-$2.50 for simple buttercream swirls, more for fondant, more for filled, etc. As mentioned earlier, BE PROFESSIONAL and start as you wish to continue. You can be grateful for the grant, but they didn't do it because they were nice and emotionally involved with you, they provided the grant for sound business reasons. Make them proud!

Debbye27 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 9

thanks apti! there are awesome pics in that link, and jenng1482, your punch card idea is soooo cute- I may use that one day!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 9

You are very welcome.

(there ARE some awesome cupcakes in that thread....)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%