Cream Cheese Icing/filling Under Fondant

Baking By JillycakesEtc Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 6:39pm by JillycakesEtc

JillycakesEtc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillycakesEtc Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:19am
post #1 of 6

Do I have to refrigerate a Red velvet cake covered in Cream Cheese icing if it is covered in fondant?? I don't normally put my cakes in the refrigerator for fear of drying them out....however, I don't want anyone to get sick on bad cream cheese thumbsdown.gif Suggestions?? Thoughts?? Thanks so much!!!

5 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:05am
post #2 of 6

Cakes don't dry out in the refrigerator if they are covered in either buttercream or fondant. You can refrigerate your buttercreamed cake overnight and then cover with fondant the next day, or you can refrigerate your fondant covered cake as long as you realize that fondant can get sticky once it starts coming to room temp. It does dry out so don't touch anything.

One way to avoid a lot of condensation issues is to put your fondant cake in a box and then wrap that box in plastic wrap (or a garbage bag) and put in the refrigerator. The next day take the cake out and the bag off but leave the cake in the box until it comes to room temp. The box helps keep the humidity out and your cake won't have those issues.

JillycakesEtc Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 1:33am
post #3 of 6

Great info!! Thanks! So when it comes to Cream Cheese Buttercream; it definitely has to be refrigerated though, right?? My concern is the cream cheese....how long can cream cheese icing be "out"?? Thanks!!!

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 1:45am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Cakes don't dry out in the refrigerator if they are covered in either buttercream or fondant. You can refrigerate your buttercreamed cake overnight and then cover with fondant the next day, or you can refrigerate your fondant covered cake as long as you realize that fondant can get sticky once it starts coming to room temp. It does dry out so don't touch anything.

One way to avoid a lot of condensation issues is to put your fondant cake in a box and then wrap that box in plastic wrap (or a garbage bag) and put in the refrigerator. The next day take the cake out and the bag off but leave the cake in the box until it comes to room temp. The box helps keep the humidity out and your cake won't have those issues.

Thanks for the tips thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 5:10am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillycakesEtc

Great info!! Thanks! So when it comes to Cream Cheese Buttercream; it definitely has to be refrigerated though, right?? My concern is the cream cheese....how long can cream cheese icing be "out"?? Thanks!!!

All my cakes are frosted with buttercream that has cream cheese in it...though it is not a 'cream cheese frosting'. It's a crusting frosting that I know holds up well under fondant though I've not used it that way. I deliver my cakes cold an hour before an event to let it come to room temp slowly. It has stayed out for hours with no problems. At my house, cakes have been left out overnight with no problems (my family's use only). Sugar is a preservative. If you deliver a cold buttercream frosted cake that comes slowly to room temp over a few hours you will be fine.
If you deliver a fondant covered cake at room temp it should be fine.

JillycakesEtc Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%