Any Tricks For Uping Fat Content In Whipping Cream?

Baking By Haimm01 Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 4:58am by Haimm01

Haimm01 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:11am
post #1 of 5

I want to make a white chocolate ganache since I've been hearing such great things about it for using underneath fondant.

The heavy whipping cream I grabbed, as I didn't see any called just heavy cream, is only 8% fat and 17% Sat fat (wasn't sure which was more important), is there anything else I can add to avoid a midnight trip to the store? Thanks!

4 replies
leah_s Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:22am
post #2 of 5

Why can't you use the whipping cream? I use that all the time for ganache.

Haimm01 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:29am
post #3 of 5

I've been researching ganache recipes all day and they seemed very adament that it should be 35% fat? I've never tried before, so I didn't know. Will it still stiffen enough with out the extra fat?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 4:55am
post #4 of 5

If it is labeled "whipping cream" it IS 35% fat. That has nothing to do with its 'nutritional value' which is what you're reading on the side of the carton. ONE TBSP of 35% cream (whipping cream will give you 8% of your daily requirement of fat including 18% of your daily limit of saturated fat. The cream you have is, as leah_s has stated, what you need for ganache.

Haimm01 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 4:58am
post #5 of 5

Yay, thanks so much! This was the only thing that made sense to me, but I wanted to double check before I might ruin the chocolate I bought!

Quote by @%username% on %date%