Coconut Cake Question Asap

Decorating By kakicake Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 9:43am by scp1127

kakicake Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 2:58am
post #1 of 6

Hi guys ! I''m making a coconut wedding cake for my niece this saturday. I have to leave at 5 am to travel to the site in order to get there in time for set up on saturday, so I'm not going to have much time for anything on saturday. My question is, will my coconut be stale and dry if I frost, apply it on friday and store it covered in the fridge for the next day? Thanks so much for any help! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
leah_s Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:21am
post #2 of 6

It should be fine. But why are you storing the cake in the fridge?

kakicake Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:27am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Leah for replying. My frosting has cream cheese in it, so I guess I thought I needed to. I'm a newbie so any suggestions would be of help! Thanks

scp1127 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 8:50am
post #4 of 6

I have to store mine in the refrigerator too. It has pastry cream in it.

I don't believe in adding simple syrup to cakes because they are dry, but my coconut cake uses the syrup to add another depth of flavor. It is infused with coconut and finished with Malibu Rum. If you would like the recipe to safeguard your cake from drying out, pm me. Susan

carmijok Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:10am
post #5 of 6

Cakes don't dry in the refrigerator if they're covered with buttercream. I have to refrigerate all my cakes because I use real butter buttercream and they do great. No simple syrup needed...although that coconut with the rum sounds delicious.

scp1127 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:43am
post #6 of 6

This recipe, I completely changed Bobby Flay's Throwdown winning recipe, was constructed for the simple syrup.

I have to refrigerate almost all of mine too. I know this in advance and adjust my recipes so that they are moist enough to stay nice for a few days after it is sold and cut. I advise my customers to press plastic wrap up against the cut sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%