Decorating Dummy Cakes Make Me Want To Cry- Help!

Business By lissyUK Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 10:09pm by lissyUK

lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 16

I hate decorating polystyrene dummies! I've made three for a wedding fair that turned out ok - eventually (last 3 cakes in my pics) but want to do a topsy cake for this weekend's fair. I got a lot of enquiries at the last one so figured it'd be good to have one on the stand.

However, the dummy is so light i can't get the fondant smooth because it keeps scooting around. I end up over working the fondant, tearing it on the edges and having to start again! Gave up tonight because I can't decorate when I'm frustrated!

I have a load of mini dummies to make too and am dreading them!

Any tips? Thank you x

15 replies
Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 16

what if you cut a section out of the bottom and inserted a heavier object ? Some small and compact to weight it down . Or glue the object to a cakeboard and insert the dummy with a cutout over it?

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 16

i cut a small square of non slip shelf liner to put under the dummie when I am covering them. I know they are hard icon_sad.gif I dont love making them either

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 16

I looked at your cakes and they are beautiful!

When you start feeling the frustration setting in, take a breather and when you start feeling better then go back and continue working on the dummy cakes. Your cakes are amazing and they look so smooth and flawless so clearly you have what it takes to cover dummy cakes!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 16

I have an easier time with the mini cakes. I've coated them with crisco and then added the fondant. I can't stand covering the bigger styrofoam with fondant so sometimes I just make royal icing and smooth it out with a little water and then add piping or fondant. I guess it depends on how frustrated I am. Good luck though. Btw, your cakes are very pretty!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 12:00am
post #6 of 16
Curtsmin24 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:24am
post #7 of 16

Nice!! Haven't seen that at all. I think i'm going to order one.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 2:17am
post #8 of 16

I just take a cardboard drum and bang some nails through it so that I can spear the dummies on it while I'm working on them. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 2:22am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I just take a cardboard drum and bang some nailts through it so that I can spear the dummies on it while I'm working on them. icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif Nice!

Curtsmin24 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 2:42am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

just take a cardboard drum and bang some nails through it so that I can spear the dummies on it while I'm working on them.

Even better and cheaper! thumbs_up.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 16

Me too, mine happens to be a 9" drum but you can decorate any size on it - smaller or larger. Then just prise it off with a spatula when you're done. I actually think that a piece of wood would be better just because it weighs more than a drum.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 16

I am confused. I cover dummies all of the time and have no difficulty. Are you all talking about covering the dummy or decorating it once it is covered? Maybe I can help with some of your issues.

lissyUK Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks all!

Its getting the fondant smooth - the dummies just skid around.

Will try some of the above ideas for tonight's attempt!

M x

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 16

I use a piece of strong packing tape rolled inside out on the top of my turntable, then press the dummy down on that. Keeps it still.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 16

I do the same thing. I wrote a little blog entry about this for next week and I used a bunch of duct tape in the process icon_biggrin.gif

lissyUK Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 10:09pm
post #16 of 16

I love you all very very very much. Thanks to your suggestions, I managed to fondant 4 tiers of topsy turvey dumminess without shedding a single tear!

Thank you! Will post a pic when I've prettified it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%