Logo Frustration - Why Is This So Hard?

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 1:45am by jason_kraft

ajwonka Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 4

After 2 emails and a really long phone call, Starbucks denied my request to use their logo as an edible image on a cake. Seriously? I just did a search on here and there are 251 Starbucks cakes, most with the recognizable logo! Are all of those illegal or do some people manage to get permission? I explained my wish to use it on one birthday cake and offered to submit the design so they could verify the tastefulness with which it'd be used. Nope!

Now I don't know what to do! Without the logo the cake will just look like a styrofoam cup! (The cake's for my sister so it wouldn't be for pay but they said it didn't matter!)

Any advice?

3 replies
jason_kraft Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwonka

I just did a search on here and there are 251 Starbucks cakes, most with the recognizable logo! Are all of those illegal or do some people manage to get permission?



They are most likely all illegal.

Quote:
Quote:

Now I don't know what to do! Without the logo the cake will just look like a styrofoam cup! (The cake's for my sister so it wouldn't be for pay but they said it didn't matter!)



Why not design your own logo with an original rendition of a coffee cup?

cakemaker2 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 12:54am
post #3 of 4

Since you are doing it for your sister, and don't plan on "posting it" I think you'd be fine. I would do it. JMO

jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:45am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker2

Since you are doing it for your sister, and don't plan on "posting it" I think you'd be fine. I would do it. JMO



This would be OK (pragmatically if not legally) as long as you make sure no one else takes a picture of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%