Which Cake Strips To Use?

Decorating By BuffytheBakingSlayer Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 3:17am by Jeff_Arnett

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 7

I have ordered some Wilton cake strips, but now I am concerned. I read some reviews elsewhere that stated the people thought they imparted a metallic taste to the cakes. Has anyone had this issue?

If Wilton aren't the "preferred" type, what is? I have seen Magi-cake, regency, and those silicone ones made by the Cake Bible lady (cannot recall her name, sorry).

any suggestions? thanks.

6 replies
Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7

I use the wilton ones, have never had any complaints, I've never heard of a metallic taste getting into my cakes either...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 7

There is NO way those bands put on the *outside* of a cake pan can impart any kind of taste to a cake. That's just pure nonsense!
For years I used wet paper towels pressed against the outside of the cake pans. Works just as well.
Fold the towel (paper or an old kitchen terry cloth) to the height of the pan and pin together. That's all that's necessary icon_smile.gif The whole idea is that the wet cloth will keep the outside of the pan cooler allowing the cake to bake up more evenly.
If you bake cakes at 300 degrees you won't even need to use them. It's the fast baking at high heat that causes the hump to form when baking.
For any cake pan using 1 cake mix or batch of batter, bake it at 300 for about 20 minutes then turn the oven up to 325 for about an equal time. This will give you a very flat, moist cake icon_smile.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

[quote="BuffytheBakingSlayer"]I have ordered some Wilton cake strips, but now I am concerned. I read some reviews elsewhere that stated the people thought they imparted a metallic taste to the cakes. Has anyone had this issue?

You're baking in a metal pan. icon_confused.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

Been baking with them for years, have replaced some in the last year or so, never had any issues with metalic tastes with them.

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:29am
post #6 of 7

[quote="jgifford"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffytheBakingSlayer

I have ordered some Wilton cake strips, but now I am concerned. I read some reviews elsewhere that stated the people thought they imparted a metallic taste to the cakes. Has anyone had this issue?

You're baking in a metal pan. icon_confused.gif

LOL! Touche!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:17am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffytheBakingSlayer

If Wilton aren't the "preferred" type, what is? I have seen Magi-cake, regency, and those silicone ones made by the Cake Bible lady (cannot recall her name, sorry).

any suggestions? thanks.

Not sure how the baking strips could make the cakes taste metallic since they don't come into contact with the cake itself..... that said....

I like the Magi-Cake mostly becuase I can buy a long roll of it and cut many custom size strips for a whole lot pan sizes. Once cut, I sew the strip ends together with canvas thread, then I mark the size on the outside of the strip with a permanent marker...saves a whole lot of time not having to hunt thourgh a box of different sizes then having to adjust pins, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%