Establishing Delivery Fee's??

Business By FabSteph Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 8:46am by scp1127

FabSteph Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 4

At what point do you start charging delivery fee's for cakes other than wedding cakes?? How much do you charge?? I normally charge a flat rate for delivering large cakes, but when it comes to smaller cakes like birthdays, baby showers, etc... I'm not sure. I have read where some ppl charge according to mileage and other instances, but I live in a small sized city and to delivery locally it shouldnt require too far of a distance to travel but I still feel I shouldnt have to do it for no charge. What would be the normal delivery fee for a cake that cost less than $50, $100???

3 replies
jason_kraft Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 4

Your delivery fee shouldn't change based on the price of the cake, there is still the same amount of travel time, gas costs, and vehicle depreciation involved, although if you have a separate setup charge you would probably waive it if all you had to do was drop off the cake and no additional setup was involved at the delivery location.

We charge $1/minute round trip based on the Google maps estimate. For small cakes the delivery charge sometimes ends up being more than the cake itself, in which case the customer can decide whether the convenience is worth the delivery cost or if they just want to pick it up instead. The former happens more often than you'd might think.

lorieleann Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 5:46am
post #3 of 4

i don't charge for in town delivery (within 10 miles of my bakery) right now because i don't offer store front hours for pick up. I could do pick up at my kitchen, but it isn't attractive at all from the curb and don't want to be there waiting and waiting for a pick up. I'd much rather deliver on my own schedule and not charge for it. I'll reevaluate this if the cost of delivery starts to outweigh the convenience of not waiting store front, but right now it works for me. BTW, i charge $.50/mile round trip for delivery outside of the 10 mile radius, and wedding/tiered cakes have a $25/hour delivery/set up fee (one hour minimum).

scp1127 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 8:46am
post #4 of 4

I have to disagree about small vs. wedding cakes. Smaller are much simpler.

About 70% of mine is delivery. I established boundaries for delivery and charge a local fee. My fee is in line with local flower delivery rates and Edible Arrangements and I make good money doing it this way. I make sure I make one outing for all deliveries and do all work related errands while I deliver... grocery store, party store, Michael's. With a plan, it works out well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%