How To Prevent Burnt Edges

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 8:08pm by snazzycakes1

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 6

i couldnt seem to find an answer to this question. i have been baking cakes for awhile now, and all my larger cakes are getting burnt edges, especially my SQUARE cakes.!!!! aaahhh help, i have had an emergency last night and had to "trim" down my edges.... i havent seemed to have this problem in the past, although i dont always bake large cakes. and most are round. PLEASE HELP!!! i have tried, putting a flower nail in, and a heating core, (i used a heating core in my 12x12 spuare, and it still burnt!) I also bought a oven thermometer and realize that my oven is 10 degrees too cool, and even when i adjusted this, i still had burnt edges....... help me! thank you very much in advance

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 6

Do you bake from a box or from scratch? If you bake from a box, are you adding extenders to it (flour, more sugar, etc.)? Usually over browning is due to too much sugar in the recipe. Also, have you tried the bake even strips? Make sure they are soaking wet when you put them on.

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 6

Try lining your pan with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment paper is higher than the pan. This has helped me a lot with not getting the burnt edges on my cake. It also helps me acheive a true 2" layer. I have not tried this for the square pans yet. I don't bake many square cakes because I still have problems icing those and getting the crisp corners. I need to start practicing more on that. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 6

I've noticed with bake even strips my cakes come out with a lighter crust. That could help with the burnt edges?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

What temp are you baking at? I baked almost all my cakes at 300 degrees F. I'm thinking your oven is too hot.
Are the cakes actually burnt or just very done and dry? Big difference icon_smile.gif

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 6

they arent "burnt" they are "over done...." very crisp darker edges, especially square corners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%