Taste Testing

Business By evesa1129 Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 9:46pm by evesa1129

evesa1129 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 11:12am
post #1 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif Hello everyone! I'm new to CC so I'm sure my question has been asked before so please bare with me. I started my in home "bakery" business last year and to help get some exposure a dear friend of mine wants to open her home and have a cake taste testing party with some of her friends/potential costumers. Now my question is, is it ok to bake cupcakes instead of full cakes for this event? It will be about 6 people total and it's free so I'm trying to find "the smart" way to do this. Thank you all in advance for your help! icon_cool.gif

11 replies
leepat Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 12

I always do cupcakes for a tasting. It is just so much easier and I can keep a larger variety in flavors available. Pretty plates and napkins are a must though.

jason_kraft Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 12

Our tastings are mix and match: we make one unfrosted 6" round for each cake flavor requested (cut up into smaller pieces with a round cookie cutter) and include small deli containers for each frosting flavor.

evesa1129 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much for your suggestions they are very helpful

jgifford Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 12

If you want to do a large number of flavors, I would suggest mini cupcakes. That way, the guests can try more flavors without getting too full to appreciate the flavor. And do as Jason says and keep the frostings in separate containers. That way, the guests are free to mix and match. Just make sure all your flavors are labelled.

evesa1129 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

If you want to do a large number of flavors, I would suggest mini cupcakes. That way, the guests can try more flavors without getting too full to appreciate the flavor. And do as Jason says and keep the frostings in separate containers. That way, the guests are free to mix and match. Just make sure all your flavors are labelled.




I agree with you Jgifford, mini cupcakes was my idea since I want to make about 9 flavors total

MimiFix Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesa1129

I want to make about 9 flavors total.



I'm posting this response because it's in the Business forum: If you're excited and feel like doing all that work and shouldering the expense, then you certainly should. But the guests don't need to sample that many flavors. If you selected basic chocolate and vanilla, and then added one or two other favorites, it should be more than enough.

Are the invited guests potential customers, as opposed to friends and family? I have dear friends, people I absolutely love; but when it comes to cake, they go to Walmart. So if you're hoping to get orders from this event, the most important issue is your target market.

evesa1129 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesa1129

I want to make about 9 flavors total.


I'm posting this response because it's in the Business forum: If you're excited and feel like doing all that work and shouldering the expense, then you certainly should. But the guests don't need to sample that many flavors. If you selected basic chocolate and vanilla, and then added one or two other favorites, it should be more than enough.

Are the invited guests potential customers, as opposed to friends and family? I have dear friends, people I absolutely love; but when it comes to cake, they go to Walmart. So if you're hoping to get orders from this event, the most important issue is your target market.




Yes Mimifix, they are all potential customers, they are friends and co workers of my friend. My friend is also a long time costumer. I was thinking of doing classic flavors and some specialty ones. As well. Is that too much?

MimiFix Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 12

evesa1129, if you see the potential, then go right ahead. And have a good time! I wish you well!!

jgifford Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 12

Every time I bake cupcakes, or try a new recipe, I alway make at least 1/2 dozen mini cupcakes to freeze for tastings. And every new flavor of frosting, filling, etc., as well. I make sure everything is labelled and dated and rotate so nothing is in my freezer more than a month at the most.

At this point, I have about 7 different flavors of cake and 5 of frosting in my freezer. Just an idea in case you want to do tastings on a regular basis.

evesa1129 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

evesa1129, if you see the potential, then go right ahead. And have a good time! I wish you well!!



MimiFix thank you very much icon_smile.gif

evesa1129 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Every time I bake cupcakes, or try a new recipe, I alway make at least 1/2 dozen mini cupcakes to freeze for tastings. And every new flavor of frosting, filling, etc., as well. I make sure everything is labelled and dated and rotate so nothing is in my freezer more than a month at the most.

At this point, I have about 7 different flavors of cake and 5 of frosting in my freezer. Just an idea in case you want to do tastings on a regular basis.




Thats a great idea jgifford thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%