Formynana Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:34am

I have been wanting to try my hand at modeling chocolate instead of using fondant for flowers - whats a good recipe and how long will the modeling chocolate last? Thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
cdmolina83 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 4:13am

This is the modeling chocolate recipe I like to use. The better the chips, the better the taste.
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/chocolate-clay-modeling-chocolate

I have not personally tackled chocolate flowers yet. But I am sure people have made them with this recipe. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 5:22am

This is a great recipe also. I make half of it. I started using this recipe when i met a lady at ices convention. Her name is Mari Senago and this is all she makes(chocolate flowers of all kinds.) I love taking her demos at the convention. I have made the roses, orchid, cala lily ,etc. using this recipe. hth I am sure the other recipe is good also that the op posted.

sing Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 5:45am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmolina83

This is the modeling chocolate recipe I like to use. The better the chips, the better the taste.
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/chocolate-clay-modeling-chocolate

I have not personally tackled chocolate flowers yet. But I am sure people have made them with this recipe. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing this recipe thumbs_up.gif

shuswapcakes Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 1:35pm

I just started using modeling chocolate a weeks ago and I'm addicted icon_biggrin.gif It does taste much better than fondant. If you store your flowers in air tight containers they should last for weeks!

jgifford Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:25pm

I've started using modeling chocolate instead of fondant to cover cakes because it tastes so much better. I've tweaked this recipe a little - - I use 24 oz (1 pkg) almond bark and 2/3 cup corn syrup. Once it's mixed up, I pour it out on wax paper until it's cool enough to handle. Then I knead as much oil as possible out of it before I let it rest. Getting the extra oil out makes it a little firmer; also, you don't end up with little hard bits in the middle of it when it's cool.

I find that modeling chocolate made with almond bark is very forgiving. If I need to color it, I use candy colors and add the color to the corn syrup before mixing. I have also used gel colors, but this takes a lot more kneading so it doesn't seize up on you.

Debbye27 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:56pm

Covering cakes with modeling chocolate? That sounds yummy- experimenting with modelling chocolate is next on my list-when I get free time......
Is it more expensive to use modeling chocolate then it is fondant? It cost me aout $4.00 to make a batch of fondant...I haven't made modeling chocolate yet though.

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:03pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

This is a great recipe also. I make half of it. I started using this recipe when i met a lady at ices convention. Her name is Mari Senago and this is all she makes(chocolate flowers of all kinds.) I love taking her demos at the convention. I have made the roses, orchid, cala lily ,etc. using this recipe. hth I am sure the other recipe is good also that the op posted.

It looks like your recipe didn't post icon_smile.gif I'd be interested in how it differs.

jgifford Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:06pm

I get almond bark for $2.68 at wallie world and $.40 for corn syrup, so for $3.08 I can make 1 1/2 pounds of modeling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%