Convertible Car Cake...need Help

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 3:34am by preciosa225

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:07am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I am making a convertible car cake and have purchased Mike McCarey's Cakenology dvd which is great! So I have most of the information down but I am stuck on one thing. My biggest problem is figuring out the size of the cake. I am making an infiniti G37 which needs to feed 50 people. On the dvd, Mike makes a Mustang and states that his cake is 17" long and serves approx. 30-35 ppl. So being that my car will be a convertible and I need to hollow out the cab (to put the seats in), I don't know how long/big my cake needs to be. (Does this make sense?) I was hoping someone would be able to help me in figuring out the size I have to make. I know this will be approximate being that it is a sculpted cake but I just need some direction.

Thanks for any help/tips you can share!

Cari

3 replies
DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 7:09am
post #2 of 4

Why not put carved cake on a sheet cake,decorated as a road,parking lot, etc.. ?

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 10:54am
post #3 of 4

When you are making a cake to scale it is easy if you can get good side/front/back pics or use www.the-blueprints.com

I don't sell 3D cakes by serving sizes - the cake is what it is because the dimensions etc are determined by the shape/scale of the car. Most of mine start with either a 10 or 12inch square cake and they are carved from that - sometimes you can add to the length/height etc by patching here and there - I use ganache for this.

In Australia our serving sizes for cakes are SO much smaller than yours - we haven't embraced the whole 'upsizing' everything and because we often use mudcake with ganache - a finger portion is normally all that is served - AND people are not all consumed with making sure EVERYBODY gets a piece of cake - they are always people who don't eat cake and nobody gets their nose out of joint if they don't.

Sorry - bit off track there.

Found some good side pics - not sure if this is the exact car you are wanting - but you need to print it out - then photocopy and enlarge until the length is about in line with the size cake you are starting with. Don't feel pressured to have a huge cake - it looks ODD - much better to have back up cake if you think it will be required - I think you would have plenty from a 10 or 12inch cake... but thats just me!

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/10/02/infiniti-g37-convertible-a-threat-to-bmw/

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 3:34am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for your help. I did get that blueprint site from the DVD as well and I bought the file. I think I will do as you suggested and just make the cake the size that Mike McCarey did his and then take extra cake just in case there isn't enough. I don't want the cake to look awkward or lose character if it is too big.

Thanks again for your help! I will post pics once the cake is done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%