White Cakes That Brown Too Much On Edges While Baking

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 9 Nov 2014 , 8:48pm by Nana Fradette

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 16

I know what you all are going to say...Turn down your oven but that is not the problem.I am already baking at 325..It just really irritates me when a white cake browns so quickly on the edges before the entire cake is baked.I just took a 12x12 out of the oven after 50 minutes at 325...parchment lined pan etc..and the top edges look so brown and crusty..I may have to rebake it because it looks over cooked...I know it isn't but the customer may think so...How do I eliminate this without turning my temp down to 300 and waiting double the time for it to bake....shouldn't the parchement protect it from browning too much...

Very frustrating... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

15 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 16

Scratch or box?

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 16

boxed Rainbow bit by Betty Crocker....

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 16

It could very well be your pan. What kind are you using? If it's a dark pan it will absorb more heat than a lighter pan. I use Fat Daddio's and Magic Line pans and don't have that big of a problem with the too-brown edges and I use Betty Crocker for my french vanilla cake.

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 16

The pan is actually a Wilton Decorater Preferred true straight edge..New...Beautiful pan....Not sure what else to do so the cake doesn't look so crispy..Maybe turn down to 300 but I'll be here forever...LOL

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 16

Maybe some bake even strips? I don't use the ones you buy, I cut up a couple of old towels into strips, wet them and put them around the cake pan.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 16

I had this happen with my scratch white cakes. It turns out I was using my shortening, oil, flour mixture to keep them from sticking and this was causing them to brown and crust. Once I began to simply use parchament paper and nonstick spray they turned out perfect. Might be worth a try!

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 16

I don't bake with mixes, but I think you have 2 issues:

Extreme browning comes from a the high sugar content in your batter. Box mixes already have a high sugar content, but if you are using an extended mix you are adding even more sugar, which crystallizes and make a very crusty crust. Think creme brulee.

In scratch cakes, we deal with baker's percentages in our recipes (even if you don't know what that is, the recipe you are using follows it). I get a very light crust on my white cakes because the weight of my sugar does not exceed the weight of my flour so it is in perfect balance.

I am not sure if this is possible to get using a box mix, but here's my advice...

The second issue I think you have is it does not sound like you have introduced any moisture in your oven. Your top crust is cooking, crystallizing and setting before your cake comes close to being done. The longer it cooks, the more brown it gets. 2 things to combat this. Use bake even strips. Leave them dripping wet. But also try putting a 1/2 sheet pan 1/2 filled with water on the bottom rack of your oven and let it preheat and leave it in there while your cakes cook (and you will probably have to adjust your temperature up to 350 because of how much is on your oven). It will release steam introducing water to keep the surface of your cake moist. It should help it rise better, keep the dome minimal and it will slow how quickly it browns (if it domes at all it should fall when you take it out of the oven making the cake nice and flat). You need to re-adjust what you think "looks" done though, don't trust your sight or even touch since the top of the cake will me more moist then you are used to.

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 16

Merlotcook...This was also happening to me and I stopped doing that...
Vista...I do have strips and I may have to try them...

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlotCook

I had this happen with my scratch white cakes. It turns out I was using my shortening, oil, flour mixture to keep them from sticking and this was causing them to brown and crust. Once I began to simply use parchament paper and nonstick spray they turned out perfect. Might be worth a try!

This is also true, I use a canola based non-stick spray. But it sounds like OP's problems are a little more extreme.

shawnteel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnteel Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 16

I also use the old bath towel (wilton bake strip) wet it, pin it around your pan. This will keep the edges of your pan from heating up and cooking the edge of your cake while the middle is still not cooked. Also on the bigger cakes, I use a metal wilton flower nail, stick it upside down in the center of your pan and it works like a heating core without leaving a big hole in middle of your cake.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 16

What about purchasing an oven thermometer. Your oven may be old and turning off and on infrequently might result in crispy edges. Also after removing it from the oven, flip the cake over to cool (still in the pan). Moisture will be caught in the pan and won't escape into your kitchen.

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:39am
post #13 of 16

AHow do you combat this issue with white cupcakes?!?!

Nana Fradette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana Fradette Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 16

AI know this is a DUMB question, but do you put the parchment paper down, then coat it in spray, or vice versa? Obviously NOT a great baker.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 16

i would not spray underneath but there's no rule that says not to -- if the cake cooled completely in the pan then you might have to warm the bottom to get the fat to release the parchment but that's no biggie -- i use parchment and do not spray anything myself it makes for an easier release after i run a knife around the edge --

best to you

Nana Fradette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana Fradette Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 8:48pm
post #16 of 16

AWonderful! Thanks for the informattion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%