Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 6

Is it just me or is clients getting more and more demanding? icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

In my world, they're getting more demanding. They want all the bells and whistles, but don't want to pay for them. It gets pretty frustrating...especially if it's a family member who's a "client". My sister wanted a cake for her co-worker, it had a lot of detail work (fondant figurines etc) and took me a while to do. She comes to pick it up, raves about how nice it was...asked how much I would charge for a cake like that...I tell her, and she says 'Wow...that's pretty expensive"! Based on my research, the price was fair for the amount of work I put into it. Needless to say, I load the cake in her car for her, and she drives off. You notice I didn't mention any money being handed to me! My payment? She said my payment would be from all the future cake orders from her co-workers! She said they all loved the cake, but as of yet...not one order! My sister didn't even pay for the ingredients! Needless to say, this won't happen again!! She or anyone else wants a cake, they're paying for it in advance!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

My sister didn't even pay for the ingredients! Needless to say, this won't happen again!! She or anyone else wants a cake, they're paying for it in advance!

When doing cakes (or any baked goods) most people do not think about ingredient costs or time involved. And the assumption, from most family members and friends, is that they are sure lucky to know someone who can do these items free.

If you want to be reimbursed for ingredients or paid for your completed products, you must be explicit before you agree. Otherwise you'll feel taken advantage of while they're simply thinking, "Oh, goody, another wonderful cake to wow my circle of friends/coworkers!"

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandysdream

Is it just me or is clients getting more and more demanding? icon_rolleyes.gif

There's been a definite shift in our collective behavior. The further along our societies evolve, the more "me first, second, and third" becomes the norm. It's evident in most areas of our lives, not just with food. I deal with this in two ways: work at being the best person I can be, hoping my behavior will "rub off" on others; and I protect my business by instituting safeguards to help offset this demanding behavior.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 6

Definitely more explicit in the designs they want. I blame it on TV cake programs. Now the bride is more informed and knows what's out there and what to ask for. You see it in the terminology they use - sometimes to the conclusion that you may be dealing with another cake decorator, but she's just a fan of Cake Boss and has been searching the Internet for helpful information and "what to ask" lists. But as a result of their demands, my cake skills have escalated to the point where I can go up on my prices and actually make a profit.

kns93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kns93 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

But as a result of their demands, my cake skills have escalated to the point where I can go up on my prices and actually make a profit.

What a way to put a positive spin on the situation...bravo Denise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%