Removing Icing Color From Thumb?

Decorating By isillyme Updated 20 Feb 2012 , 10:57pm by kakeladi

isillyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isillyme Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 4:21am
post #1 of 18

I just signed up for a cake decorating class, and I made my first buttercream frosting. I put some color into it and its a nice pink color. I got some of the pink coloring on my hand actually its on my thumb. I used dawn dishsoap to remove it but you guest it my thumb is pink. I look like I have been hitchhiking.
icon_redface.gif

17 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 4:29am
post #2 of 18

Not to worry! Other bakers will recognize you as one of their own. Wear it as a badge of honor!

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 4:45am
post #3 of 18

I can get color off my hands by using Clorox Ultimate Care Bleach.

isillyme Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 4:55am
post #4 of 18

Won't that burn your hand? I mean the Clorox. I was quite happy with the frosting thankfully I only used a tiny bit of color. Practice makes perfect. icon_biggrin.gif

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:15am
post #5 of 18

I often have pink or red thumbs but black is definitely not pretty! icon_wink.gif To help minimize this I have learned to coat my hands with a light sheen of shortening before applying color. This is especially helpful when coloring fondant. When you are done then just wash your hands well with warm water and soap and about 95% of the color comes off right away. HTH

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:15am
post #6 of 18

After I've colored fondant my hands look like they've been in a knife fight...and the black...well, just keep your nails short, otherwise it looks like you've been digging up the yard. It all washes away fairly quickly...maybe because I wash my hands a LOT...but it doesn't stain forever.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:24am
post #7 of 18

Comet, Barkeeper's Friend, nail polish remover, or repeated washing usually takes care of it. The toughest part is getting it out from under your fingernails.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:27am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

After I've colored fondant my hands look like they've been in a knife fight...and the black...well, just keep your nails short, otherwise it looks like you've been digging up the yard. It all washes away fairly quickly...maybe because I wash my hands a LOT...but it doesn't stain forever.

I had nails a couple of weeks ago and looked like I was a car mechanic! Also, I did a bunch of red gum paste flowers not too long back and forgot to coat my hands with shortening. The red faded away after a couple of washings but it left my hands bright pink only on my palms. It took a whole day of washing over and over before they were back to pretty much normal. Attached is a picture! icon_redface.gif [/img]
LL

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:31am
post #9 of 18

We all have gloves (or should have if we own a business) right in our reach, but we never use them. I get the color just from opening the jar of coloring. I know before I go to the drawer and I just don't do it.

I let it wear off.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:38am
post #10 of 18

I too, usually just ignore my chronically-stained hands and just let it wear off. But one trick (ideally right away) is to coat your hands in Pam and rub that in then wash that off.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:42am
post #11 of 18

Then there's the shoes, cupboards, floor. icon_surprised.gif
Last week I was coloring with black. Don't ask me how this happened but I walked into the other room to get a towel and I had black circles all over my floor . I obviously flicked black somehow on the floor and continued to drag it through the kitchen. Boy was my floor a mess. Never mind my hands icon_redface.gif

isillyme Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:43am
post #12 of 18

I am grateful that the color didn't go all over my hands. I am very new to cake decorating and I haven't even had my first class yet. It looks like I will get use to having colors on my hands. icon_lol.gif I am grateful that the BC frosting was a hit.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 12:01pm
post #13 of 18

LOL I don't even worry about that anymore. Comes with the job/hobby. I just got done doing a tie-dye cake and my hands were very psychedelic-looking afterwards. I usually take a shower when I'm done and by the next couple of hand washings it's gone.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 1:19pm
post #14 of 18

Around my nails usually takes longer, but mine washed off usually by the time im done decorating. I was my hand A LOT during he process since I have 2 little kids who are in constant need of something icon_smile.gif
I try my hardest to put gloves on when im colouring fondant though. My full time job is a hairdresser to between hair dye stains and food colouring, my hands are never a pretty sight.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 2:27pm
post #15 of 18

The most effective method I've found is to spray my hands (where the color is) with windex BEFORE rinsing or washing my hands. It's probably the ammonia that takes the color off. However, if you rinse or wash your hands first, the windex will not work.

~Chelle

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 2:29pm
post #16 of 18

The bleach, Clorox is "Ultimate Care". I use it myself to remove color when I didn't use my gloves. Your hands will have a little bit of odor from the bleach, but it does remove the color.
[/b]

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 18

My students always know when I am makig a cake....I have rainbow hands!! Especially from tinting fondant. If it bothers you, though, try some hand sanitizer. The alcohol in it helps take out some of the color.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 10:57pm
post #18 of 18

I didn't take time to read all the suggestions but here are mine:
when you know you are going to color fondant (or use any food coloring) lightly coat your hands w/shortening.

Once there is color on:
chelleb1974 is right. I got to where I would just use straight ammonia but it is very harsh on the hands and noseicon_smile.gif
rub on toothpaste; shampoo; or wash hands w/the *hottest!* water you can stand as hot cleans color whereas cold sets it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%