Fondant In Oklahoma?

Business By kendra_83 Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 1:11am by kendra_83

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 2:35am
post #1 of 9

I've been ordering from Global Sugar Art and they have the best price right now since they're having their February Fondant Sale but the shipping charges are over $45 and I'm wondering if anyone knows of somewhere in the Oklahoma City area where I can get Fondx or even Satin Ice.

8 replies
tamimccloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamimccloud Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 7:29am
post #2 of 9

Amazon sells Satin Ice and if you're an Amazon Prime member, shipping is free. Not sure the price can compete with Global Sugar Arts though.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 8:12am
post #3 of 9

You might just do a Google search for cake decorating supplies in OKC and see what comes up.
I live in Tulsa and we have two sugar art supply places in town so if you want to make the trip up, you might check them out. The one I go to and know carries Satin Ice is 'All Things Cake.' You might even call her and find out what she would charge you to ship it to you. I don't know what her prices are. I only use fondant for decor so I buy the Wilton fondant at Michaels or Hobby Lobby and use their 40% off coupons. Good luck!

kendra_83 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 9

Well I just confirmed my order from GSA with shipping charges adding $53.49 to my total. Does anyone else find this ridiculous? I spent $181.27 before shipping charges were added so you'd think there would be some discount or at least reduced shipping charges...

kendra_83 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 9

Fondx was $28.99 per 10 pound pail and that was the best price I've found, by the way. If a customer ever has a gripe about the price of my cakes I should just show them this receipt!

carmijok Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 9

I feel your pain...shipping charges can be outrageous! You know you might think about making your own. It's really not that hard and the MMF is delicious! I don't cover my cakes with fondant but if I did I would go this route...particularly since the cost is so prohibitive of buying online.

I made a batch once and it really was delicious...but didn't harden enough for what I wanted...which is why I think it would be great for covering...or putting through an extruder or things like polka dots, etc. Then you could get the Wilton's stuff at 40% off at Michaels, or Hobby Lobby for decor like figures or their premade gum paste for flowers etc. I know others on here have great success with the MMF and may know how to make it more sturdy. Maybe adding Tylose to it or more powdered sugar.

When I made it I used my hands to form it and it was a sticky mass that eventually came together, but my sister in law said to use my dough attachment on my mixer and it would be a breeze. If I made it again, that is what I would do. Anyway, hope you find an answer to your dilemma! Your cakes are lovely.

kendra_83 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 9

When I first started doing cakes, I always made MMF with my Kitchenaid. I just found that it was such a mess and a hassle. I'd have powdered sugar all over the kitchen, everything was sticky from the marshmallows and I would always have leftover fondant that would go to waste because if I tried to use it again it would crack. It seemed like it took me more time to clean up than it took me to do the cake! Looking at my earlier cakes, they had a lot more imperfections. I tried Wilton and it wasn't great for covering but it does make sense to use the Wilton brand for things like borders or figures, though. Thanks for that suggestion!

I've found Fondx to be the best for cakes (Satin Ice is good, too) that are covered in fondant, and the price is great, I just wish it was cheaper to ship. I was only going to buy 2 10-lb pails (among some other things) and shipping charges were nearly $50 so I added another pail and shipping only increased by $3. I figured I'd stock up so I don't have to spend so much money on shipping for a while.

I live in rural Southern Oklahoma, about an hour from OKC so most everything I buy has to be ordered. There is a cake supply in OKC but they mostly carry pans and other equipment and they don't have a big selection. Maybe next time I head south I'll look in Dallas. I'm sure I'd have much better luck there.

carmijok Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 9

Or you could just learn to use only buttercream like me! Sure saves on the fondant charges!

I worked at a bakery for a short time and they would only rarely cover their cakes with fondant...if it needed a certain look or if the client requested it they'd do it, but most people thought the cakes WERE fondant covered because they were able to get it so smooth. I'm still working on that, but the few times I attempted covering with fondant was not pretty so I'm a buttercream gal.

Oh, if you ever get to the huge Sugar Art Show in Tulsa in October, apparently Satin Ice has awesome deals....but you have to get there early! No shipping charges (just gas!) good luck! thumbs_up.gif

kendra_83 Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:11am
post #9 of 9

I agree, it can be pretty tricky. Since I started using the store-bought stuff, it took a lot of the hassle away since I could just open the bucket and start rolling. I'm wondering (now that I have over 50 pounds of fondant being shipped to me) about Michele Foster's fondant recipe. I've seen that it has rave reviews so I may try it. Three Little Blackbirds mentioned that she uses a version of Michele Foster's fondant and her cakes look amazing. Since it has butter, cream, corn syrup and glycerine maybe it's less susceptible to crack and show imperfections than the regular MMF. I know the humidity has a lot to do with how it turns out, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%