Help!! Need Cake Ideas For Someone Turning 110 Years Old

Decorating By sweetie112 Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 1:20am by sweetie112

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to come up with ideas for a birthday cake for someone turning 110. The only info given is she is very "prim" and proper, loves jewelry, and taught school (in every subject) before retiring.

I suggested jewelry box cake, pocketbook with lace gloves, and books. Did not get a positive response.

Can you all think of anything??

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 9

Since you have not gotten much help and actually rebuff on your suggestions it's going to be hard.
How big is the cake to be? Tiered?
The only thing I would suggest is an apple on a lace doily or use the gloves as you thought.
For the top of the cake I'd make the #s 110 in gumpaste to stand up on the top.
I think cornelli lace is very feminine and would maybe make the doily just an area on the cake covered w/it.
Don't think my suggestions help much icon_sad.gif

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 9

How about a little red schoolhouse . If you're good with figures you can add kids and older people to show all the people she's taught/impacted and put it all on a large sheet cake. You can add to that if they like the design. Good luck!

sweetie112 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks. You both offered very good suggestions. I am not a master with figures but I think I can do something nice.

Anyone else have suggestions?

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 9

I think the school house idea with her as the main figure wearing pearls, handbag and gloves coming out of purse. 110 wow can't wait to see finished product good luck

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 9

What about researching 1902 and depicting something from the year she was born?

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9

What about researching 1902 and depicting something from the year she was born?

I like this suggestion also. AND .... OR..... a walk through life cake . A trail of everything she has done or big events in the new that have happened in her lifetime. I would ask the family which ideas they like as well. Good luck and keep us posted. A HUGE MILE STONE for sure.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 9

All I could think of was a school house with bell in the cupola with a string coming down the side of the cake that the teacher would ring to start school. Also a border made of fondant but with markings to look like a yellow or tan ruler. Open books are good, stacked on one another and topped with a teacup and saucer on a lace doily to denote her after school relaxing time. The lace gloves could be placed next to the cup of tea.

sweetie112 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 1:20am
post #9 of 9

Thanks all.. Based on everyone's ideas I think I can go back with additional suggestions.
(She's in a nursing home (the facility wants to do this for her). Not sure if any family is still around.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%