How Do You Separate Your Yolks And Whites

Decorating By BuffytheBakingSlayer Updated 4 Mar 2012 , 7:37am by scp1127

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 2:51am
post #31 of 47

I use the shell method, but I use a small steak knife (a butter knife works also) to make a cut into the side of the egg...I give it a good whack, and it makes one clean cut...then I can separate very easily.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 8:54am
post #32 of 47

Flour Pots brought up a good point about breaking the shell. Another method taught in books and school is to use the counter, not the side of the bowl. It is less likely to damage the yolk, as Is Flour Pot's method.

A few months ago, I had to make four angel food cakes. I think that was 48 egg whites. My 17 year old daughter helps me because this will be her bakery when she gets out of college. I put her on the task of breaking and separating the eggs. After 48 eggs, she was a pro. Maybe you just have too much time pass between your attempts and have never gotten a good experience where you actually get the chance to "get" it.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 12:49pm
post #33 of 47

Oh yes, cracking an egg against a flat surface is the way it's taught. I do it on the flat side of the bowl, not on the edge. Just the flat side of the bowl. FlourPots method reminds me of a gadget I bought when I wanted to try all the gadgets in the world to separate eggs. I still have it, forgotten somewhere. The Egg Cracker at Amazon. A blade suspended on top of a black stick, waiting for you to crack an egg in it. It's got good reviews, but I'm definitely afraid to cut my hands. It makes a very clean cut.

But I always thought if I ever had to separate eggs for a living, lots of them, lol, I would just get the Egg Separator Pro at pastrychef dot com. I really wanted to try that thing. I still want it but I just don't have an excuse.

scp1127 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 1:39pm
post #34 of 47

I just watched Bridget Jones for the 500th time. Remember her mom in the department store demonstrating .the somewhat suggestive egg peeler? She pumped it with her hand and finally the peeled egg flew out.

You reminded me of that Imagen with your gadgets. I love gadgets too, but most of mine are used in my savory cooking. Sur La Table is the best store for helpful gadgets.

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 2:47pm
post #35 of 47

SCP, sadly, I'm not allowed any more gadgets. Lol. I get them in New York city. Hold them in my office, then bring them over to the house. But they get found out. I cook more than I bake. Most times for 14 hours on Sundays. I need all the help I can get! Kidding aside, I'm sticking to the basics now. Putting everything I don't need anymore in a box as we speak. I can crack an egg on my own, yes, I can!

scp1127 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 3:46pm
post #36 of 47

I can't do without that little garlic mincer on wheels.

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 3:59pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Hey! Tell all. I don't have that one! And I mince and mince and mince garlic. Italian food. A whole cup of freshly minced garlic takes me a while.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 4:20pm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Hey! Tell all. I don't have that one! And I mince and mince and mince garlic. Italian food. A whole cup of freshly minced garlic takes me a while.

You're doing it the hard way!! Use this little gizmo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005MF97/?tag=cakecentral-20 and dump a bunch of peeled garlic in there (they sell peeled garlic at most grocery stores) and voila -- insty-minced garlic! icon_lol.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 4:50pm
post #39 of 47

Thank you, bobwonderbuns (love your name), I got one of those once and a lot of stuff gets under those blades, not being chopped? I've probably been brainwashed by books saying that those choppers give you garlic juice with uneven pieces of garlic. But yes, I'm a little tired of doing it the hard way. I'll start reading reviews. I like peeling my own garlic and knowing where it comes from, so that's no big problem.

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 4:59pm
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Thank you, bobwonderbuns (love your name), I got one of those once and a lot of stuff gets under those blades, not being chopped? I've probably been brainwashed by books saying that those choppers give you garlic juice with uneven pieces of garlic. But yes, I'm a little tired of doing it the hard way. I'll start reading reviews. I like peeling my own garlic and knowing where it comes from, so that's no big problem.

I have NEVER had a problem with uneven-ness or garlic juicing or stuff getting in the blades. This gizmo is small enough that it doesn't have the issues of the larger food processors. And it's pretty inexpensive too!! I have two of them and use them ALL the time, for EVERYTHING!! The nice thing is that they tuck out of the way and don't have the cleaning/storing issues of the bigger processors. LOVE this thing!! icon_lol.gif

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 6:12pm
post #41 of 47

There's been some interesting comments made on this post, but how did we get from separating eggs to chopping garlic?? We definitely share all kinds of info and gadgets! I'm still waiting for scf1127's egg chart. I've been looking for one on eggs, too, but haven't found anything substantial, so am wondering about this one same as bobwonderbuns (love that name!). Besides, she always has such interesting and well researched info available that she shares with us, I'm sure this is another one of those.

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 2:51am
post #42 of 47

I recently switched over to using the cartons of pasteurized eggs and whites. In pastry school, that's all we use and our recipes list eggs by weight anyway. At first I wasn't sure what to think about it but it's actually so much easier. And no worries about salmonella.

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 3:16am
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrainis

I recently switched over to using the cartons of pasteurized eggs and whites. In pastry school, that's all we use and our recipes list eggs by weight anyway. At first I wasn't sure what to think about it but it's actually so much easier. And no worries about salmonella.

Is there some sort of standardized chart you use regarding egg weights? I ask because not all eggs are created equal -- four jumbo egg whites is more than four large egg whites. Know what I mean? icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 3:26am
post #44 of 47

We'll let akrainis come up with a chart if they use it. But most recipes use large eggs, or egg whites from large eggs.

Average weight of large egg, shelled:
Whole egg = 1.6 oz = 50 grams
White = 1 oz = 30 grams
Yolk = 0.6 oz = 20 grams

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 5:43am
post #45 of 47

Just adding my vote: when I had 36 to 60 eggs to separate, I'd break a couple dozen at a time into a big bowl (breaking the egg against the flat surface of the bowl's side), then with a gloved hand, grab the egg yolks out. Fast ... Simple ... Easy. (And did I mention fast?)

Once in a blue moon, I'd put the egg yolks into another bowl and we'd have the best homemade egg noodles EVER! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 7:30am
post #46 of 47

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00138N62W/?tag=cakecentral-20

No cleanup but a quick rinse and the most perfect garlic with the juices intact, not like a press. This little thing is perfect. Another gadget... the cheap little rubber tube that takes off all the garlic skin.

scp1127 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 7:37am
post #47 of 47

I forgot, but this is scary... my numbers I use are the same as Imagen's. I think we are related.

The only thing I have that is different is a range of high and low for each part. That way if it is something I want to have slightly more egg, I know the range. If I need an extra-large egg for a Barefoot Contessa recipe, I just put the weight right on the recipe.

I just bought a book on cheesecakes and the authors are from Singapore. They use medium eggs. I have the weights on the inside cover of the book. You will rarely find the use of other size eggs, so I don't clutter my refrigerator with anything but that and a running shopping list.

If you need the odd weight, just google it, weight in grams med egg white/yolk. It will pop up without even going to the page.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%