Help!!! Canon Ip 3600

Decorating By billiev2000 Updated 8 Apr 2012 , 11:55am by icingimages

billiev2000 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 31

I just got my Canon IP3600 edible image printer. I installed the cartidges and when I tried to align it, it said the cartridges were not recognized. What did I do wrong? How can I fix it? Need help ASAP!!!

30 replies
babyblue113 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 31

Did you ever figure out what was wrong. I'm going to buy this printer within the next couple of days to use for edible images. How do you like it so far?

Goreti Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 31

Found this online; The Canon Pixma iP3600 printer cartridge has a chip that tracks the level of ink used during printing. It is economical to have your ink cartridges refilled instead of purchasing new ones. After the refill, the cartridge chip has to be reset so it recognizes the refilled ink level. Special resetters are available in the market, but Canon printers can be reset directly from the printer as well.

Take the USB cable out of the Canon Pixma iP3600 printer's port.

Unplug the power from the source.

Pull the printer's door up and keep the "Power" button pressed.

Connect the power cable.

Close the printer's door, and release the "Power" button immediately to reset it.

Read more: How to Reset the Chip in a Pixma 3600 |

KoryAK Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 31

Where did you buy the cartridges from? Maybe there was a problem with those ones... do they have the chip on them?

babyblue - I have this printer (from and I love it!

rosech Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 12:28am
post #5 of 31

Thank you for the information. I will collect mine today. This will help.

babyblue113 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 31

Great! I will definitely get this printer.....This may be a dumb question but can I use a laptop for printing out edible images or does it have to be a desktop computer?

Debbye27 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 31

I just got this printer, and will test it out tonight, since I need it for a cake on Wednesday- will use with a laptop....thanks for the info!

babyblue113 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 31

Hi Debbye27, please let me know how it goes!

cupadeecakes Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 31

I have not had this problem (yet) with my Canon edible image printer, but wen I had an Epson (the cartridges used chips too) I saved every chip off every cartridge I went through and kept them in color coded baggies. I was always getting bad chips on my edible image carts, but if I had a spare and a pin resetter I could be back to printing in no time. On the Epsons I could pop the chips off with a razor blade and they just pushed on to a little plastic pin.

rosech Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 31
Originally Posted by babyblue113

Great! I will definitely get this printer.....This may be a dumb question but can I use a laptop for printing out edible images or does it have to be a desktop computer?

Yes my dear you can use your laptop as long it has a USB port and compatible operating system.

Debbye27 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 3:34am
post #11 of 31

Oh man, I completely forgot to set it up and test it out! Nothing like waiting until the last minute icon_wink.gif I will let you know tomorrow night now....

rosech Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 31

I set up my printer. After switching on, the power LED flicks a few times, then interchanges with orange LED. Gives me error when I try to print. I assume EI paper goes into bottom tray like photo paper? Is glossy side supposed to be up or down? Also blue cartridge didn't click as clearly as the rest when I put it. Any assistance will be appreciated.

KoryAK Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 31

No, the EI paper should go into the feeder on the top so it goes directly in and not turned around inside. EI paper should have one side that is plastic and one side that is the frosting part. Are you maybe talking about wafer paper?

rosech Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 31

It is written schweet sheet. Has custard taste. Not sure what it is.

KoryAK Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 3:34am
post #15 of 31

I have never heard of those. Here is some info on it...

Sounds like a regular frosting sheet meaning one side is frosting and one side is attached to the plastic backing. You need to leave it attached to the backing while printing and print on the edible side. For the Canon IP3600 you put it in the rear tray face up.

rosech Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:23am
post #16 of 31

Thanx. Will try that and update.

rosech Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 11:50am
post #17 of 31

I have done what has been recommended here and by the supplier. I keep getting service error 6502. Googled error 6502. Done what is recommended. Still having same problem. Power and reset buttons keep blinking. Anyone with a solution??? I want to do other stuff but am stuck with the printer. HELP!!!

Debbye27 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 31

I hooked mine up two days ago and it was so easy to do! (Mind you I've never even hooked up a printer before icon_wink.gif The edible ink cartridges went in easily, the images were clear and everything worked beautifully!

Rosech - Have you tried a different power source? And is your power cable new?

KateLS Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 9:29pm
post #19 of 31

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I accidentally ordered the wrong cartridges for my EIP.

Luckily, I had the original "real" ink cartridges and was able to put the chips from them onto the edible ink cartridges. It worked beautifully. =)

(I used scrap booking tape dots to attach them to the edible ink cartridges.)

rosech Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 9:41pm
post #20 of 31

Thanx Debbye. The supplier says its the cartridges. She says she will replace all of them. Will update when I get new set.

babyblue113 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:25am
post #21 of 31

2 of my edible ink cartriges are not being recognized even though they are in the correct place. It keeps saying its not installed in the correct position ARGH!!!!!

billiev2000 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:14am
post #22 of 31

Ha! Figured it out! Apparently you have to be smarter than the printer. I had the cartridges in wrong. (They weren't in all the way.) icon_redface.gif Now that I've remedied that...I LOVE THIS PRINTER!

babyblue113 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:23am
post #23 of 31

Mine are in all the way, they click into place so there has to be another issue that I'm not seeing...frustrating

billiev2000 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 9:48am
post #24 of 31

There may indeed be another issue, but when I finally got mine in right I noticed a light that came on until I released the pressure on the cartridge. (Mine clicked too, but did not light the first time) Did you notice the light?

babyblue113 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:11am
post #25 of 31

Yes, when I click the cartriges into place they light up

rosech Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 3:55am
post #26 of 31

I got my cartridge replacement set, still no joy. Anyone with any tips on how to fix this? I want to cry! The green and orange lights continue blinking.

icingimages Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 4:18am
post #27 of 31

The problem could be the printer. Or if you have any ink dripped in where the chip meets the printer, it could be interferring with connection. I would try removing everything, powering it down, unplugging it. Then wait 5 minutes. Then Plug in, power up, let it ask for the cartridges. Make sure the grey arm is down so the printhead is held in place. Then insert one cartridge, close the lid and see if it tells you that it is missing the other cartridges. Add the next cartrdige, put the lid down and let it ask you for the next cartridge and repeat the process until all cartridges in. If you get the error, you know which cartridge is causing the problem. You can PM me if you have more questions, perhaps I can be of further assistance.

rosech Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 1:11pm
post #28 of 31

Debbie I pmed you. Am using my mobile phone and sometimes I have problems viewing pms. I have put cartridges one by one. When I reach the last one the blinking starts. Reversed sides same thing. Where is the point where chip meets printe so I can check for ink?

icingimages Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 4:30pm
post #29 of 31

I didnt have a PM...
But it based on what you are telling me, it is either the set or the printer. Do you have the original OEM cartridges? If so, you can swap out the chips. Be very careful to be sure that the yellow is on the yellow, red on red etc. See if that works. If it does not, it coud be your printer. But lets take one step at a time. Try swaping out the oem chips. I dont think it is ink between the chip/cartridges based on what you told me.

rosech Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 4:57am
post #30 of 31

So I have swapped chips and there is no change.

Quote by @%username% on %date%