A "sciencey" Kinda Question - Ganache, Dairy Free?

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 23 Feb 2012 , 9:22pm by jason_kraft

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 9

Hi guys!

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. It may have been done before but I just got to thinking....
I ran across this post last night and the idea sounded pretty good, but i'm trying to think of other ways to use this.

http://nuttykitchen.com/2010/06/01/coconut-whipped-cream/

Thankfully I don't have to worry with dairy free things, but I thought I can find other uses or new tastests why not! My first thought is could this idea be used for making a dairy free ganache? Normally I make ganache using a heavy cream (I think it's fat content is around 35%)... with this coconut fat idea, Idea I think it's fat content is around 40% and being that it seams to act like heavy cream... do you think I could use it in making a gananche?

Or how about other ideas? I don't see this working as a standalone whipped frosting, but if adding with other things high in sugar it would seem to stabilize it for "out of fridge" use. It's just a thought, I was hoping to get your input as well!

Thanks so much!!!

8 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 9

We make dairy-free ganache with soy milk and vegan chocolate chips (Whole Foods sells them), you could probably sub coconut milk for a thicker product.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 9

Hmmmm...this sounds very interesting! I just wonder how it would hold up as a filling?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 9

We do our dairy-free ganache with soy milk and dark chocolate (couverture). You do have to adjust the recipe to have more chocolate since there is no milk fat to firm up like there is in cream, but it seems to work for all applications.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 2:35am
post #5 of 9

I do a ganache with dark chocolate and lactose-free cream.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 9

I do dairy-free ganache with dark chocolate and rice milk.

jason_kraft Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 9

Where is everyone finding dairy-free dark chocolate? All the dark chocolate we've found is either processed on shared equipment with dairy or contains casein/whey if not lactose.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 9

Jason - I use vegan chocolate.

jason_kraft Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

Jason - I use vegan chocolate.

Which brand?

Quote by @%username% on %date%