Finding The Time To Decorate While Working....

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 20 Feb 2012 , 10:49am by Alwayzmakincake

Alwayzmakincake Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

Just started getting back into making cakes again. I work full-time 4 1/2 days a week. I have two teens, 18 and 16 and a little one 5. The Elmo cake I just made for this weekend just sucked the life out of me. I was up LATE every night after work making the elmos ahead of time, the gumpaste flowers, the fondant, buttercream, coloring the buttercream, coloring the fondant, etc.

Then I read that there are people with jobs who make even five cakes a week. I would not have been able to make five. Is it because I'm not fast enough? I want my cakes to look perfect so I take my time. The other night at midnight I was NEVER making a cake again! LOL

Then last night I felt SO guilty I hadn't spent any time with my little boy. I just held him on my lap for an hour. icon_sad.gif But.....I love cakes.

I want to open a cake boutique some day in the next couple of years. Scary thought! But until then I need to get my clientele down and get people to know I'm making cakes.

Just curious about how to find the time and not feel guilty.

Thank you.

Michele in FL

3 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 4

Please don't beat yourself up about this. I think we all go through it. A couple of tips and thoughts. If you mean to open a bakery in the future look at it this way, when you die what would you rather be thinking... I wish I had opened my bakery 5 yrs earlier or I wish I had spent more time with my family?

Second you will get faster and you will learn tricks. You can make buttercream way in advance and freeze it. You can make cake batter way in advance and freeze it. You can also freeze baked cakes for a couple of weeks if they're wrapped well. You Elmo face and your flowers can also be made way in advance and stored in a cool dry place for monthsicon_smile.gif when you commit to making a cake look at your schedule and make a timeline. Figure out about how long each piece will take and try and plan to do anything in advance that you can. Also set your little one up a small table in the kitchen and give him/her some fondant or play dough to play with while you work. My mom did this with my sister when she was taking art classes when my sister was young. Both are now very talented artistsicon_smile.gif

And never taken on more than you can do? I think CC really inspires us to want to amazing things but sometimes we only have time for cupcakes and sprinkles.

Oh one last tip, keep a trash can near your work area. It is one of the biggest time savers for me not to be constantly walking back and forth to my trash can . Sounds minor but made a big differenceicon_smile.gif

cai0311 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 2:11am
post #3 of 4

I work full time but no kids. About 2 weeks before a cake is due I look over the contact and sketch. I make anything I can in advance. I write down a very detailed schedule for the cake and when I will do all the details, baking, filling... I am all about lists!!

When I have down time I work on something for a cake. Freezing baked cakes can be your best friend. Triple wrap in plastic wrap (I use plastic wrap from Sam's Club-not Saran Wrap) and freeze. I have frozen cakes this way up to a month with no problems.

Alwayzmakincake Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 10:49am
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the advice! Great ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%