Wedding Cake Questionnaire

Business By HootersAlicia Updated 20 Feb 2012 , 3:54am by HootersAlicia

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 4:57am
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I have a few wedding cakes ordered for this summer and fall and I wanted to put together a questionnaire for the couple (let's be honest, the bride and maybe her mom) to fill out before meeting to discuss the cake just so that I can have an idea and maybe a few examples of options for them. I'd love to know if anyone else does something like this and get ideas of questions to ask. I feel like I'm forgetting something obvious. Here's what I have so far:

What is the budget for your cake?
How many people should it serve?
Do you want to save the top tier for your anniversary?
Is your wedding going to be (pick any that apply):
a)  Traditional
b)  Modern
c)  Casual
d)  Formal
e)  Day
f)  Evening
What are your wedding colors?
What are your flowers?
Do you have a design you would like it to mimic (invitation, wedding dress, etc.)?
Are there any flavors you would like to try (cake and fillings)?
Do you like fondant or buttercream (frosting) cakes?

What should I add/take away?

7 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:39am
post #2 of 8

I don't do wedding cakes but I think I'd change the "Are there any flavors you would like to try (cake and fillings)?" to something like "Are there any specific flavors you are interested in?" I think some people would take the way you have it worded to mean that they can taste as many flavors as they write down on the form (and I bet some would see just how many flavors they could manage to write in the space for that question and think they'll get a cake tasting all-you-can-eat buffet lol).

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:07am
post #3 of 8

What you want in questionaire form is what most would do in an initial interview. Without the formality and robotic delivery, you may like to just practice your interview and make sure it includes these questions.

So yes, we all do it. But in conversational form. You could give yourself a checklist so that you cover everything, but I think the questionaire is a little impersonal and stiff.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 8

I'm with scp on this one...you can get most of the basic info from them in the initial contact, just asking about how any people will be there, what budget range they want to stay within, etc etc. I tell people that they should bring photos of cakes that they like so that I can get an idea of what style they're looking for. You probably shouldn't spend too much time doing sketches or hunting down pictures of cakes for people before you meet with them. You'll go in one direction and they'll show up to the appointment and tell you that they changed their mind and want to do something different, then it's just wasted time for you.

cerps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerps Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 12:04am
post #5 of 8

Agree with scp as well. Those questions are great for getting the conversation going and getting them more comfortable with you.

BUT what I would like to do is provide a document/video showing them what to expect when they come for a consultation such as: length of time, how many flavors they get, having them be prepared with ideas, bringing their colors, directions, reminding them to call if they have an emergency.

Hopefully this would help avoid the brides that think they have 2 hours for a consult or the ones that think they can try every flavor in the world icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 12:29am
post #6 of 8

I personally would keep this list for yourself to check off once you meet with them instead of handing this to them prior. Only 2 questions to ask mainly prior to meeting them is to bring pics of cakes they may like for ideas or ideas in their head along, AND what cake combo's they are interested in trying and I keep my list to 4 combos to try..otherwise they will want to try everything. AND if they can't figure out just 4 combos, then to suggest to them what tastes great together..

Once you do your list while in the meeting, then make a copy of what was written down on it and give copy to client so everyone is on same page and no miscommunication was spoken of.

This is just my own idea..good luck

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 3:07am
post #7 of 8

I think it would be a good idea to put the questionnaire on your website. That way the couple has an idea of some of the things they'll need to think about before the meeting. It will allow you to ask the questions in person, but they've already thought of their answers (hopefully) so you don't wind up with a lot of "I don't know" responses.

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 3:54am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama22

I think it would be a good idea to put the questionnaire on your website. That way the couple has an idea of some of the things they'll need to think about before the meeting. It will allow you to ask the questions in person, but they've already thought of their answers (hopefully) so you don't wind up with a lot of "I don't know" responses.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. As soon as someone says "wedding" I start thinking about all of these things because I grew up helping with weddings (my mom did cakes, flowers, just about everything) but most people don't even know where to start. I thought it would be helpful for the client as much or more than it is to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%