Toomers Tree

Decorating By faith1 Updated 27 Feb 2012 , 1:17am by CyndeeK

faith1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faith1 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a grooms cake with a toomer tree on top as in this picture. Can anyone please tell me how to make the tree. I don't have a clue where to begin.
LL

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 1:28am
post #2 of 7

You could make a wire armature then cover it w/fondant or gumpaste.

CyndeeK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CyndeeK Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 7

I recently made one of these for my son's Groom's Cake! If the tree is NOT to be eaten (mine isn't), you could use a branch from a tree to start. I covered in modeling chocolate to get the shape of the trunk. Then poked pieces of wire in for the branches. Melt chocolate chips and paint the wire branches with the melted chocolate. I cut strips of toilet paper and draped the strips for the rolled tree effect. Here is what mine looks like.
Hope this helps!
LL
LL
LL

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 7

what is a tooomers tree??

faith1 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndeeK

I recently made one of these for my son's Groom's Cake! If the tree is NOT to be eaten (mine isn't), you could use a branch from a tree to start. I covered in modeling chocolate to get the shape of the trunk. Then poked pieces of wire in for the branches. Melt chocolate chips and paint the wire branches with the melted chocolate. I cut strips of toilet paper and draped the strips for the rolled tree effect. Here is what mine looks like.
Hope this helps!

CyndeeK your tree looks really good, no it won't be eaten just for looks, the wire has to be really big to hold up the chocolate what size did you use. Thanks again

faith1 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails

what is a tooomers tree??

Toomers corner in Auburn is where fans go and throw toliet paper into the trees as a celebration. There are so really big trees there. My son is an Auburn fan and has been there for that celebration. The pictures i have seen of it looks really cool.

CyndeeK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CyndeeK Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:17am
post #7 of 7

faith1,

Thanks so much for the compliment. I used about a 22 gauge stainless steel wire for the branches. The stainless steel makes the wire stiffer so it holds it's shape better. Not sure where to purchase it, we just happened to have some. Try a hardware store, they might be able to help you. After cutting the wire to the length I needed, I poked it into the modeling chocolate tree trunk far enough so it wouldn't sag, then shaped more modeling chocolate around the base of the wire (the part sticking into the trunk) to make it a little bigger around and gradually shaped it smaller towards the end. After all branches were in place, I melted some Hershey's milk chocolate chips and painted the chocolate on the ends of the branches, as well as the base of the branches where they met the trunk. After all the chocolate set up, everything has hardened and is holding up well.

I made the tree mid January and the wedding is in June. I covered in saran wrap (carefully) and put it in a box. So far it looks the same as the day I made it. I do check on it alot!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%