Help With Crumbing Cake

Decorating By Cathrine123 Updated 18 Feb 2012 , 11:03pm by kakeladi

Cathrine123 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 3

Hey all,

I am just needing some tips when it comes to crumbing a cake, I just tried to it on some mini cakes and some of them were freshly made cakes and the others were from the freezer still somewhat frozen, the fresh ones were obviously coming apart more easily than the frozen ones, they are now currently in the fridge firming up before I put fondant on them. I did find it a little frustrating and I thought "ugh I can't do this" I was just wanting some help does anyone have any tips for crumbing fresh cake? should I let them firm in the fridge? or freeze? I do have 50 or so of these to do so all advice will be greatly appreciated thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

2 replies
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 3

I let everything sit overnight before I try to ice them, it gives them time to cool down completely and get everything back to normal. I don't freeze anything, but for the little ones I'd bet that feezing them would make them a lot easier to handle. The mini cakes are a big pain in the butt...

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 3

Crumb coating a cake should be as easy as can be.
Just put a small amount of icing on the side of a cake and smear it all around w/your spatula. It's that simple icon_smile.gif Then do the top.
You *should* be able to see the cake through the icing but you can tell if the cake is covered. Every speck of cake needs to have crumb icing on it or it will dry out.
Once the cake has a crumb coat there is **NO!** need to put it in the frig or even let it overnight.
When one can touch that coating and not get any icing on your finger it is ready for you to proceed w/the finishing coat.
If your cake is breaking apart when you apply the crumb coat, then thin the icing OR better yet, melt it in the microwave oven (for about 5-7 seconds; only melt small amounts at a time as it cools quickly and then is not usable). You don't want to heat the icing, just get it to melt. Once it is melted you have to work quickly spreading it but it dries like a glaze very quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%