Cookware Please Help.

Lounge By ReneeFLL Updated 23 Mar 2012 , 7:44am by ReneeFLL

ReneeFLL Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 15

We just had our kitchen gutted and ended up buying an induction cooktop. My Circulon will no longer work with the new cooktop. I did buy a new set of stainless steel pots and pans. The problem is that the frying pan is not a non-stick. I am having problems finding a non-stick that will work. I am thinking of going with a cast iron skillet which I have never used before. I have heard of a non-stick cast iron skillet. Has anyone used one before?

14 replies
scp1127 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 7:18am
post #2 of 15

For my sugar work and in savory cooking I have a collection of porcelain covered cast iron. I love the pieces. You can get lower priced pieces from Lodge which I haven't used. Le Creuset is the best. You want to look at the weight, or the thickness of both the cast iron and the porcelain. I find the heavier pieces to work best.

imagenthatnj Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 3:39am
post #3 of 15

You might want a LeCreuset, but at some point you will need a true non-stick like what you're used to. We don't have an induction cooktop, so I'm not sure if they'll work with one, but these non-stick pans are not made with Teflon and are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A02IVM/?tag=cakecentral-20

scp1127 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 3:50am
post #4 of 15

I used to have non-stick years ago, but I have learned to use the porcelain. My others are All-Clad. I don't know if these will work with induction, but learning to use these pans by using de-glazing methods has really upped my cooking skills... and upped the taste.

I have been wanting to look into an induction cooktop for my sugar work. What do you think? Is the control better than electric? I personally cook on a gas cooktop, but didn't want it for sugar.

scp1127 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 3:54am
post #5 of 15

I didn't offer any alternatives except the Le Creuset because I'm not familiar with any other brand except two that are obsolete. Awhile back, Mario Batali and Rachel Ray had some really good pieces about half the price of Le Creuset, but they stopped making them. I have noticed lots of Le Creuset in places like TJ Maxx. They are about 1/3 the retail price. Lodge is very inexpensive, but I don't know anything about it.

ReneeFLL Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:23am
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the replies.

Susan my sister swears by LeCreuset. She bought it about 25 years ago while living in England and she still uses it.
I don't cook that much, but have always used non-stick. This will be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow. We will be having about 20 people here tomorrow for brunch. I only had about 1 1/2 hours todaytoday to find a frying pan. I found a Lodge cast iron preseasoned pan at Target and and enamel coated cast iron pan at Costco. We seasoned the Lodge pan today so hopefully that will help speed up the process. After tomorrow I will have time to shop around if I don't like the ones I bought.

As for liking the induction cook top, I have not really used it yet except to boil some eggs. Worked great for that. It has only been installed for about a week. I will have to post what I think of it after I have used it more.

Imagenthatnj I looked at the link that you posted and according to the info it will not work with my cooktop. That pan

imagenthatnj Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:48am
post #7 of 15

Sorry, Renee. I have LeCreusets and All-Clad, and even Lodge (I cook a lot). But there are times when I absolutely need the nonstick because nothing else would do. The Lodge is good but sometimes things would stick...or maybe I didn't season it correctly.

There's a talk about non-stick for induction here.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/673785

scp1127 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:02am
post #8 of 15

Imagen, I de-glaze with brandy and sauvignon blanc (top favorites). You don't have to use so much that it overwhelms, but my cooking quality went way up with the process. For vegetables, I use olive oil from WS, forgot the name, $25 bottle. I still can have some sticking, but it's minimal. I have been tempted to try their non-stick. For eggs, I still use coated pans.

On another topic, Imagen, it's your fault I am on several wait lists for Laduree. I am really interested in their macaron recipe as I am developing mine now.

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 12:21am
post #9 of 15

SCP, I'll PM you about the Laduree recipes.

ReneeFLL Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I used to have non-stick years ago, but I have learned to use the porcelain. My others are All-Clad. I don't know if these will work with induction, but learning to use these pans by using de-glazing methods has really upped my cooking skills... and upped the taste.

I have been wanting to look into an induction cooktop for my sugar work. What do you think? Is the control better than electric? I personally cook on a gas cooktop, but didn't want it for sugar.

The All-Clad that I saw at Bed, Bath & Beyond does work with induction, but I found a set of frying pans by Berndes that are non stick that I will use. I will also learn how to use the cast iron skillet when I am not in a rush.

As for the induction cooktop, I like it alot. It heats up SUPER (for emphasis and not yelling) fast. Way faster than electric. I am not sure if it is faster than gas, since I have not used gas. The control IMO is definitely better than electric. I have not done sugar work (one of these days) so I don't know if it is better or not for sugar. I would think so, but have no experience to back this up.

I really like the flat cooktop. Very easy to clean. That was my one big thing about which kind of cooktop that I would get, it had to be a flat cooktop. The induction makes spills easy to clean up since the spilled food does not get "cooked" onto the surface.

If you do decide to research the induction, I would be interested to hear your opinion. I know that you cook alot and will do a much more thorough research than I did.

ReneeFLL Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:

The All-Clad that I saw at Bed, Bath & Beyond does work with induction, but I found a set of frying pans by Berndes that are non stick that I will use. I will also learn how to use the cast iron skillet when I am not in a rush.

As for the induction cooktop, I like it alot. It heats up SUPER (for emphasis and not yelling) fast. Way faster than electric. I am not sure if it is faster than gas, since I have not used gas. The control IMO is definitely better than electric. I have not done sugar work (one of these days) so I don't know if it is better or not for sugar. I would think so, but have no experience to back this up.

I really like the flat cooktop. Very easy to clean. That was my one big thing about which kind of cooktop that I would get, it had to be a flat cooktop. The induction makes spills easy to clean up since the spilled food does not get "cooked" onto the surface.

If you do decide to research the induction, I would be interested to hear your opinion. I know that you cook alot and will do a much more thorough research than I did.

ReneeFLL Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

ReneeFLL Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

GarciaGM Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:39am
post #14 of 15

I have an induction cooktop and all my stainless steel cookware is Belgique. It's sold under the "Tools of the Trade" brand at Macy's. The stuff lasts FOREVER. You can often find nice used pieces on Ebay.

I also have a Lodge Double Dutch Oven. The lid converts to a skillet that you can use to cook cornbread in. I use it for making Tart Tatin. Goes perfectly from the stovetop into the oven. I thought the seasoning process would mess up the induction cooking surface, but it hasn't bothered it one bit.

Also, if you buy a decent set of stainless steel cookware, you will find that you only need the non-stick stuff when you are cooking something like eggs or maybe stirfry. As long as you are certain to get a non-stick skillet with a COMPLETELY flat bottom, I find that the rest is all about the same.

ReneeFLL Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 7:44am
post #15 of 15

Thanks for all the info. Also, I have no idea why my last post is posted 4 times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%