Marble Cake

Baking By lannwetzel Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 10:11pm by sing

lannwetzel Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

I am still new to cake baking. I have tried a few yellow cake recipes that haven't turned out very well. I will be making a graduation cake in a few months. The customer wants marble cake. Now, I know I can just use a good yellow cake recipe and take a bit out to flavor with cocoa....but I haven't found one that tastes good yet. Can anyone share their yellow cake recipe that would work well for a marble cake?? Thanks so much!

4 replies
Debbye27 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 5

By yellow cake, do you mean vanilla cake? I'm not sure if there is a difference, but it took me a VERY long time to find a good vanilla cake recipe- I threw out so many cakes -the batter would taste good, cake didn't! I tried so many!

The last one I finally tried was on the back of my cake flour box!! I couldn't believe that the recipe on the box is the perfect one! And it's not complicated (unless you consider sifting flour twice complicated) no sour cream, no potato starch, no buttermilk - - all simple ingredients - sometimes I use only vanilla, sometimes I use almond too.

Here's the recipe I love and use...

Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes

The Ingredients:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
4 eggs
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Baking Instructions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with milk and flavorings, beating after each addition until smooth. Baking: Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch layer pans, using about 2-1/3 cups batter in each pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.
Alternate Baking Pans Amount of Batter Baking Time

Two 9-inch square pans 3-1/2 cups each 40-45 minutes
13X9-inch plus 5 cups about 40 minutes 9-inch layer or 1 dozen cupcakes remainder 25 to 30 minutes
4 dozen paper-lined muffin pans pans half filled about 25 minutes

Note: If layers or cupcakes cannot be baked all at the same time, remaining batter may be held in refrigerator

* I have used this for marble cakes, too

pbuder Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5

Debbye27

I just made the yellow cake from the Cooks Illustrated Best Recipes series last night and it tasted fantastic. Better then all of my doctored mix attempts. Off the top of my head it looks like the same recipe. I will have to check tonight.

lannwetzel Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your recipe! I have another question. I have not used cake flour for my cakes. Is cake flour what I should be using??

sing Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

By yellow cake, do you mean vanilla cake? I'm not sure if there is a difference, but it took me a VERY long time to find a good vanilla cake recipe- I threw out so many cakes -the batter would taste good, cake didn't! I tried so many!

The last one I finally tried was on the back of my cake flour box!! I couldn't believe that the recipe on the box is the perfect one! And it's not complicated (unless you consider sifting flour twice complicated) no sour cream, no potato starch, no buttermilk - - all simple ingredients - sometimes I use only vanilla, sometimes I use almond too.

Here's the recipe I love and use...

Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes

The Ingredients:

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
4 eggs
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Baking Instructions:

Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with milk and flavorings, beating after each addition until smooth. Baking: Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch layer pans, using about 2-1/3 cups batter in each pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.
Alternate Baking Pans Amount of Batter Baking Time

Two 9-inch square pans 3-1/2 cups each 40-45 minutes
13X9-inch plus 5 cups about 40 minutes 9-inch layer or 1 dozen cupcakes remainder 25 to 30 minutes
4 dozen paper-lined muffin pans pans half filled about 25 minutes

Note: If layers or cupcakes cannot be baked all at the same time, remaining batter may be held in refrigerator

* I have used this for marble cakes, too

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%