Any Tips On How To Make This Go Smoothly?

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 19 Feb 2012 , 1:56pm by Debbye27

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my first open book cake this weekend...I also happen to be moving into a new home!!! I know this sounds stupid and crazy!!! But I am making this for a good friends mother - she is driving this cake from NY to Virginia and has not stopped talking about how excited she is...so I will not go back on my offer. (I can move at night...) However, I do not really have time for crazy issues or problems! So I was hoping for some tips/advice...

It's an open bible cake - one side is going to have an edible image of the bible page with her favorite verse...the other side is going to have a sweet saying and 5 edible pics of her and her children - I want a ribbon in the center as well. Since cake is traveling and will stay hidden for 4 days, I am going to use fondant to cover it, and hope that will keep it moist; It will be one layer of chocolate, and one layer of vanilla - with a chocolate smbc.
Is two layers enough to carve an open book- or should I add another layer?

I have two sheet pan sizes, 12x18 and 11x15 - which would work better? For the cover of the book which is on the bottom, do you normally roll out a whole piece of fondant and lay the cake on top, or just tuck it under the cake?

I am especially worried about the edible images- because I've never worked with them. I don't want them to be ruined after sitting on a cake for four days.
Should I put them on pre-dried pieces of gumpaste?
Attach directly to fondant? OR
Put images in an envelope and have my friend put them on before serving?

Can I freeze the whole cake so it keeps better? Or at least when it's just cake and buttercream? Would that even help and if so, how would I wrap a buttercream cake? I will be making the cakes today or tomorrow and freezing them anyway and making the buttercream and fondant, but once I take them out, fill, stack, carve and crumb coat- would it help to freeze again?

In my head this cake seems pretty easy...but I kind of know better by now and am just hoping for words of wisdom so I don't run into major problems while I'm already stressed to begin with.

Thanks guys!
Debbye

3 replies
Debbye27 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 3:52am
post #2 of 4

anyone have any advice or suggestions?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 10:10am
post #3 of 4

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=738959&highlight=

Some links that may help with covering in fondant.

Can't help with edible images, it may be worth PM'ing icingimages on here and seeing what they say.

I freeze the cakes (without buttercream) so I can make them in advance. I then ice them while they are still partially frozen. If you are using SMBC as your crumbcoat the cake will need to be chilled completely when you cover with fondant.

Debbye27 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 4

wow, thanks for all that compact info---that really helps!
I will pm icingimages as well-very good idea!
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%