Wanted: Recipe For Chocolate Frosting Like Canned Frosting

Baking By Apti Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 10:29pm by monosylabicgirl

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 4

I've been hobby baking for 2 years. I've made ganache and ganache frosting etc. I've made chocolate buttercream. I haven't made any IMBC or SMBC yet.

I've been searching without success for a recipe that will replicate the taste and texture of chocolate canned frosting (like Duncan Hines or Pillsbury). If you live on the West Coast, there is a store called Vons that makes the most delicious chocolate cake. The frosting used on the borders is creamy and dark and smooth and will hold the shape of the piped border. I've called the bakery, but the cakes are delivered from another site and they don't know what is used.

My assumption is that the Vons frosting is probably Brill or Dawn and comes in 50 lb. tubs. Is it possible to replicate the canned frosting or Vons frosting at home?

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 7:26am
post #2 of 4

I haven't had canned Frosting, but I'm thinking you want what is close to the homestyle frostings. I use European buttercreams and they do act like the fluffy buttercreams.

Another option is the type that has some milk in the recipe.

I have one other, but it involves sugar work similar to the IMBC method. I've never seen it on CC. I call it my "birthday cake" style buttercream. I never use shortening in my frostings, so none of mine have that greasy feeling. I'll share this one in a pm, but it will require a 248 degree syrup and a food processor.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 4

the one on the Hershey's cocoa can reminds me of the consistency of canned frosting.

monosylabicgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monosylabicgirl Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 4

I use the cake doctor's chocolate syrup recipe to replicate canned chocolate frosting:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/11716/chocolate-syrup-frosting.html

It's not exactly what you're looking for but its pretty close and it tastes amazing. i've used it to decorate cupcakes with swirls and placed mellows and candy on top of it and it holds well. just make sure it you keep in a cool place.

hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%