Help Making This Cake

Decorating By Aish90 Updated 19 Feb 2012 , 7:34am by Aish90

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:54am
post #1 of 20

Can someone tell me how to nake this cake? it looks almost like velvet...and that colour...also what size cake pans do you think they are?
LL

19 replies
carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:09am
post #2 of 20

The square pan sizes look like either a combo of 6" / 10" / 14" or a combo of 8" / 12" / 16". As far as anything I am of no help icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:11am
post #3 of 20

Rather than worry about what size pans were used, base what *you* use on how many servings needed for the order. Get out your sq pans and stack them to see what sizes you need for the off set stacking.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:20am
post #4 of 20

Honestly, I think the specific look on that cake was created on accident by hot knifing when smoothing and the super dark color melted and additionally saturated in those parts.

It looks like a 6-10-14x4"

happyascanbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happyascanbee Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:26am
post #5 of 20

There is actually edible spray that give a velvety effect...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 20

I agree with Kory. I have had that happen before.

kkurek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkurek Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 20

they marbled the two colors together.

take two colors and carefully knead them together. for this dont knead it too much or the colors will get too swirled and look more tie dyed. slowly blend them and then roll out the fondant flat.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 20

Seriously. That's not a fondant cake, it's buttercream that was hot knifed.

kkurek Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 20

looks a fondant covered dummy to me.

either way. thats how i would recreate it.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

So if it is BC how would you suggest getting such a clean diamond pattern? I use crusting BC and have tried to do patterns in them before and they look no where as clean and crisp as in the picture. I assumed it was fondant too :/

kkurek Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirlcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

So if it is BC how would you suggest getting such a clean diamond pattern? I use crusting BC and have tried to do patterns in them before and they look no where as clean and crisp as in the picture. I assumed it was fondant too :/

Yes! That's what I thought! Now I dont feel crazy; I know that I am new to this site but ive been cake decorating for atleast 8 years, so I know a thing or two about cakes!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 20

If it was fondant there would be no grease marks on the ribbon or purple colouring running down the corner ribbon of the bottom tier...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 20

LOL Dayti I was just getting ready to post that.

To you guys who think it's fondant-have you seen SharonZ's cakes? She uses diamond impression mats on her BC and the diamonds look crisp just like in the picture.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

LOL Dayti I was just getting ready to post that.

To you guys who think it's fondant-have you seen SharonZ's cakes? She uses diamond on her BC and the diamonds look crisp just like in the picture.

Well at first I thought it was fondant because it was so smooth... but then I too noticed the grease marks so assumed it was BC. I guess my crusting BC is just not good enough to hold up to impression mats because I can't see to get them to work. Just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

kkurek Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 20

Whether it is fondant or buttercream this forum was about how to create that look. as discussed. people feel that it can be created both ways.

like i stated before i think it is fondant. to me the ribbon looks as though they used a piping gel or something to 'adhere' it to the cake.

if it was me. i would recreate it using fondant because i have all the tools necessary already to make it look like this. if 'I' was going to do it in buttercream i would need to buy the mat suggested by another member. for me that isnt worth it; to buy more tools which are not necessary to me.

i think both buttercream and fondant have their strengths and weaknesses, and it is a personal preference for each person and each person will suggest different things.

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 3:24am
post #16 of 20

The cake is certainly buttercream. Looks like they had the cake in the refrigerator OR freezer for a few moments and the darker shade appears to be what the buttercream looks like when cold/frozen. The lighter shade looks to be the buttercream at room temp. I have had this happen numerous times with the darker colors such as purple, orange, navy blue, and dark green. The cake is iced completely smooth, most likely using an icing that does NOT crust and placing the cake in/out the freezer or fridge to allow the butter to solidify, then you can smooth the icing. When you do this, the icing does tend to discolor a little, but creates the velvet look.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 10:13am
post #17 of 20

You can put coloured chocolate in a paint gun and spray it onto a frozen cake to make it look like velvet. This isn't the technique used in the picture but it is an alternative method.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 10:41am
post #18 of 20

The cake posted is definitely BC not fondant. And I definitely agree it's the CK impression mat, and the BC, because it's been hot knifed has melted the fat in parts and caused the colour to super saturate, and also grease up and colour the ribbon.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 12:39pm
post #19 of 20

To the original poster: Regarding the impression may in buttercream, what BC recipe do you use? I use SugarShack's recipe and I'm able to use the impression mat and get pretty clean lines.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1959305/christening-cake

Some say to dust the mat lightly with corn starch or powdered sugar but I've never had to do that.

Depending on your recipe, if it's not crusted, it will stick to the mat. If its too crusted, it will create hairline cracks in the buttercream. That's why I like Sugarshack's recipe. It has a great workability time.

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:34am
post #20 of 20

Thank you all very much for your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%