Stenciling On Buttercream - Royal Or Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 18 Feb 2012 , 12:14am by dynee

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:54am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I'm making a zebra cake for a friend week after next. They have requested that I don't use any fondant. Since I'm new to cakes and have not worked with fondant yet, the other zebra cakes I've made were using those Wilton sugar sheets which I feel like is cheating! I bought a zebra stencil and have found YouTube tutorials on using stencils, but my main question is should I use royal icing for the stenciling or should I use buttercream? The YouTube tutorial shows buttercream, but the instructions that came with the stencil say to use royal icing. What are the pros and cons for both? Thanks in advance for the help!

3 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 5:53am
post #2 of 4

I use both interchangeably, and they perform almost identically. the Wilton black icing right out of the premade tubes is perfect for stenciling. Either way do not use an icing too think, or you will get smears. have fun!

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 4

Great! Thanks for the tip on the thickness. I'm going to make a practice cake this weekend, hopefully it's as easy as it looks!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 12:14am
post #4 of 4

I experimented on my last wedding cake and I liked RI better. I was stenciling over IMBC and the RI seemed to do a finer detail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%