Beer Can Cake With Rock Candy Ice

Decorating By raineybug Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 3:04am by raineybug

raineybug Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all

I'm very new at decorating and have volunteered myself to make a Beer Can Cake with Rock Candy Ice. I saw a photo of this cake on and I love the idea of the Rock Candy Ice all around the cake can. Problem is I'm not sure how to go about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this look...

This cake was made by sharridee and she posted it on

thanks for any help you can give. I have to do it by the end of the month!

3 replies
ajwonka Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:38am
post #2 of 4

I don't know how easy it is to find rock candy ice but you can quite easily make isomalt ice that looks real! Simply boil the isomalt and corn syrup and pour over crumpled nonstick foil.

To carve the cake I'd probably bake 4" rounds, cut them in half, and turn them on their side. I don't know how good your hand-painting skills are but I'd need an edible image to make that logo!

Good luck!

esangston Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:06am
post #3 of 4

ive used clear jello for ice, wouldnt suggest doing it on a hot day for obvious reasons... but heres a rock candy recipe we have used. keep in mind that rock candy can take a lil while, and is hard as a... well rock...

you could also find clear hard candy, melt it down and put it in an ice cube tray... I've melted down jolly ranchers for jewels on a cake before and just put the melted candy into a candy mold...

ya aughta one up the original cake and make it look like its sitting in a cooler... just make the sides bright blue or red, the top white and fill it with ice lol...

raineybug Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4

Thank you ladies.... I have a 6" round will that be good enough? I'll b doing this for my VFW post and am very excited about this project. Also, practice for when my hubby comes home from overseas...

Quote by @%username% on %date%