Photo Theives

Business By dsilvest Updated 2 Mar 2012 , 3:49pm by momsgoodies

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 36

I never thought my cakes were worthy of stealing. Just found out today after doing some searches on Google Images that my cakes were on 7 different sites. One site had 29 of my cakes out of the 59 that are on their wedding and engagement page. Now to get them to remove the photos. This should be fun.

35 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 36

What did you type in when you did your search?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 36

I don't know how dsilvest found out, but one way to do it is to upload an image of yours onto the Tineye website and hit search - if your photo is on any other pages they will come up. You can then contact the thieves and request removal.

dsilvest Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 36

Drag one of your photos into the search area of Google Images. That's it.

dsilvest Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 36

I was able to locate the IP addresses as well as the provider of all of the thieves.. Emails have been sent to both parties. Now I wait.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 36

Talk about nervy! 29 out of 59 photos? icon_eek.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 36

I found my teal butterfly cake on a site -- someone used it in a thread to wish someone else a happy birthday. Which is fine IF they had given credit where credit is due! (Which they did NOT!) icon_confused.gif So I wrote the site and the admin took it off with her apologies. icon_biggrin.gif

dsilvest Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 36

Oops - just noticed that I spelled THIEVES wrong.

dsilvest Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 36

Just got an email from one of the offenders and the photos have been removed. I guess I scared them with all of their personal info from their IP search. It contained names, addresses, phone #'s and ISP info.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 36

Luckily I haven't had any of my photos stolen...but I was searching different cake shops in town last week and most of them had photos that didn't belong to them. So many different bakery watermarks on a lot of photos. It really upset me, even though they weren't my photos. icon_mad.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 36

How did you do the IP search to get all that info?

dsilvest Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 36

http://www.ip-adress.com/reverse_ip

Type in the website address and you can get the IP address.
Click on Whois and it will give more info.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 36

Curious how this Google Image searches. I put a few of my pics in and they came up with nothing; even though I know that pic is on my website and/ or here on CC

dsilvest Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 36

Did you open up the picture rather that using a thumbnail?
Just wondering.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:15pm
post #15 of 36

Just done a quick search with my confetti hearts cake & the biggest offender seems to be pinterest. Not a site I'm familiar with. What bugs me is the person who put it up credited other cakes that were found here but not mine icon_mad.gif

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

Just done a quick search with my confetti hearts cake & the biggest offender seems to be pinterest. Not a site I'm familiar with. What bugs me is the person who put it up credited other cakes that were found here but not mine icon_mad.gif

Pinterest is a virtual pin-board. If you find something that you like, you can "pin it" to your board. If anyone comes across the pin, when they click on it it will take you to the original site. It is basically a picture link, instead of a url. It is just basically a way to keep all the cool ideas you like from the internet in a single place and share them with other people. Because it links back to the original site most people don't credit, but they also are not claiming it as their own.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 36

Thank you for explaining Vista. I've never heard of it before. I've just gone back & clicked on it & it doesn't direct back to here, it just opens in it's own window. It just says by it uploaded by user.

ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 8:05pm
post #18 of 36

I wish CC did what Flickr does and copyright the photos so thieves can't steal them from us. It really isn't fair to do so much hard work and have others benefit from it.

dsilvest Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 36

sillyoldpoohbear

You need to do the search from the opened photo not the thumbnail. I just tried it and it worked.

ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 8:19pm
post #20 of 36

If you go to google images you can see a little camera in the search box. It allows you to upload your images to search the web. Just did one for mine and it came back to the tutorial here on CC icon_smile.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 8:23pm
post #21 of 36

And if you have Google Chrome, install the plugin for the image search. Then all you have to do is right click on the photo you want to search for, and BAM! It's searching. No uploading required. I have a lot of photos on the web though, so it's easy for me to search out everything I own practically, just from what I have on Flickr. I don't know if that made sense. icon_sad.gif

dsilvest Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:10pm
post #22 of 36

If any of your photos were on www.renginpasta.com contact their IP. I just received an email from the IP and Rengin is being told to remove the photos. Yeah!!!

Rengin's IP
NicProxy Customer Service
[email protected]
www.nicproxy.com

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:24pm
post #23 of 36

I personally love Pinterest and use it all of the time! Its a great way to get your cakes visibility without having to advertise. People pin your cakes not claiming them as their own, but as an idea they like or a design they like, and if pinned from the original source they can attempt to contact you for more information. On the same note, I always try to pin from the original source, its a big deal on their site and there is a whole section on pinning responsibly. Getting everyone to do it is another story! I love that we have the pin link in our galleries on CC, we should do our best at teaching our fellow CCers to pin responsibly. I think this is a different matter than the problem with individual bakers stealing our pictures and claiming them as their own, I think that is despicable and should not be tolerated!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:44pm
post #24 of 36

OMG one of mine is on some Russian site! Should I just email the company? I have no idea.

http://www.magic-cake.ru/cakes.php?dir=children/horizont&pic=child_310112_7&PHPSESSID=2d73762640fdfaaee5a7663d7f1ca618

The thing that irritates me the most is that they put their water mark on it. But that's a communist for ya.

dsilvest Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:58pm
post #25 of 36

You will have a better shot sending an email to both the company and their internet provider's abuse dept.

First you have to find their IP address.Go here and type in their web address.
http://ip-lookup.net/domain-lookup.php

Click on the IP address - it will take you to a new page with more info.
Click on Whois/abuse and look for Domain Severs
This will give you the address of the internet provider.
Play a bit with the address if you have to - I had to remove all but the last bit. Got rid of the vip.
** Domain Servers:
vip.webarisi.com
This should take you to the IP web page. You will probably have to translate it with Google.

Send your emails translated into Russian using Google Translate

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:05pm
post #26 of 36

Thanks. I got the contact info but I can't email them from work. Wow.

dsilvest Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:07pm
post #27 of 36

Best of Luck and post if you are successful.

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:09pm
post #28 of 36

Ok now I'm even more ticked. They only have it listed for 950 rubles. That's only $32 US. That cake would have been a hell of a lot more than that had I charged for it.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:11pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Ok now I'm even more ticked. They only have it listed for 950 rubles. That's only $32 US. That cake would have been a hell of a lot more than that had I charged for it.

icon_lol.gif You have to understand it's a "depressed" economy. Aren't they all!?!

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:18pm
post #30 of 36

LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%