Carvable Carrot Cake???

Baking By Susan_cakes Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 11:30pm by Susan_cakes

Susan_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan_cakes Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All,
I am, desperately, seeking a carrot cake recipe that will withstand carving and fondant. I have to make 2 3-D Monkeys that are covered in fondant. I would prefer scratch but am willing to try doctored mix as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:30am
post #2 of 8

I think carving carrot cake would be problematic since they have stuff in them...nuts, raisins, etc that can cause chunks of cake to fall out if you are carving and hit them. Not huge chunks, of course, but for the smaller cuts....

I do like Dede Wilson's carrot cake in her book The Wedding Cake Book. You don't need a mixer, and it is sweetened with honey and maple syrup. It is pretty sturdy, and you can leave out the nuts and raisins if you want.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0028612345/?tag=cakecentral-20

Susan_cakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 8

Hi karateka
Thank you for your response. I have ordered the book you suggested. I guess carrot cake and carvable shouldnt be in the same sentence together. icon_smile.gif

Have a great day!

I am still open to any other suggestions others might have

Susan_cakes Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 8

Anyone else? =)

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 8

How did this work for you?

Susan_cakes Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 8

Hi Erica,
Unfortunately I ddnt receive the recipe, previous poster mentioned, soon enough for my order. I ended up using a recipe I already had. It wasnt ideal but I did the best I could. icon_smile.gif

Susan

DawnLeft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DawnLeft Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 8

I know I am late on this however you should try to freeze the cake before you carve it that usually works well, not sure with carrot cake, although I do make a lot of carrot cakes I have never had to carve one.

Susan_cakes Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 8

Hi Dawn, Thanks for your response. I agree, freezing does help the cakes to hold their shape better. The problem with carrot cake is all the bits of stuff that get stuck on the knife while cutting. I have decided to invest in a much better carving knife!
Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%