Modelling Chocolate/wrap Cake Nightmare! Can I Save It?

Decorating By midori1999 Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 6:41pm by LisaPeps

midori1999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midori1999 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 27

I am not a business, but I make a few cakes for friends, friends of friends etc. I am making a small 2 tier chocolate wrap cake for my friend, which is for her sister's Birthday tomorrow.

I decided to make the modelling chocolate myself as I made it some years ago and remember it being easy. However, having never worked with shop bought modelling chocolate, I am unsure where I have gone/am going wrong. icon_cry.gif I am having to warm it up so that it is workable, otherwise it is just too hard to roll out/work with and then it is getting all greasy and cocoa butter is everywhere. Then, when I am putting it on the cake it is floppy and not holding it's shape.

I am also rolling it out on icing sugar, as suggested in the tutorial I have seen and now there is icing sugar on the inside of the wraps that are on the cake. I can hide some of it with decorations later, but is there any other way to get rid of it? Can I 'buff' it with my hands when it has gone hard again? Brush it off with water? (I am thinking not!)

Finally, is there any way to make it more shiny without glaze spray? I have no way to get any before tomorrow sadly. I was thinking maybe some lustre dust brushed over the dry chocolate might help give a better effect? Gold or bronze maybe?

I am sorry for all the questions. icon_redface.gif My friend will think it is fab anyway, but that's not really the point, is it, it has to look good enough for me to think it's good.

Thanks in advance.

26 replies
gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 27

What is your modeling clay recipe? Did you use chocolate coating?

midori1999 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 27

I used eating milk chocolate and white chocolate too. 200g milk choc to 60ml of liquid glucose and slightly less for the white chocolate. I'm in the uk, so different ingredients here, I think our chocolate is different to the USA too?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 27

Are you heating the chocolate clay or warming it with your hands before working with it? You should be able to knead it with your hands to make it pliable enough to use.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 27

When I make modeling chocolate, I only let it sit until it's cool enough to handle. Then I knead as much oil out of it as possible. Whether you use chocolate, candy melts, almond bark, whatever - - you're going to have oil dripping out of it when it gets warm.

You might try rolling it out then putting it in a cool place for a while or in the fridge for just a few minutes to let it harden so it will hold its shape. You can also use the heat of your hands to draw some of the oil to the surface after you roll it out. This will make it smooth and shiny - - kind of like polishing it with your hands. You're right about the water - - any moisture will make it seize up.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 27

Try rolling it out on light shortening or pan spray instead of powdered sugar - you won't have any whiteness to contend with.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 27

You can also roll it out between 2 sheets of parchment paper. It won't stick as long as you release the parchment every once in awhile on both sides (just keep flipping it over and rolling from both sides).

midori1999 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 27

Thanks for the replies. Does the recipe I'm using sound ok?

It's too hard to knead at all from cold/when it was left overnight, so I warmed it in the microwave until just soft enough to handle/knead.

I'll try putting it in the fridge once rolled and cut and also the white/veg fat to roll out on thanks.

Someone (lady in sugarcraft shop, tried to get some glaze spray this afternoon) using alcohol to get the icing sugar off as it evaporates fast. Does anyone think that would work?

This is it so far, obviously not finished, have to wait until the children are in bed now. Should I take the chocolate wraps off and start again?

jgifford Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 27

I've heard of some using a small paintbrush and vodka to get the powdered sugar off, but I've never tried that on modeling chocolate. It should work though. I would say as long as the wraps you have on there are holding their shape, just continue on from there. Good Luck and post pics. thumbs_up.gif

midori1999 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 27

Thanks again. I've had to use ganache to stick the wraps into place a bit, but they are holding ok.

I'll try the vodka on a spare bit of the modelling chocolate to see what it does. Fingers crossed!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 27

Does the lady in the cake shop sell Cocoform modelling chocolate? That's what I used on my wrap cake and I didn't have any of the issues you are talking about. I rolled it out on very minimal amounts icing sugar then buffed what I could off. I then sprinkled different shades of luster dusts on it and rubbed them in.

You can see mine here

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1875575/chocolate-heaven

midori1999 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 27

Wow! That looks amazing! That's the way I wanted the wraps to look really. icon_redface.gif

Sadly the shop was a bit useless and didn't have much at all in. It's the only one I can find even though we live in a city too. I did consider using cocoform but it is so expensive when I just do this as a hobby. Do you mind if I'm cheeky and ask how big your cake was and how much (weight) of cocoform you used? I think I'll definitely order some to try after this, even if just to get an idea of what it should be like.

I'm a bit disappointed, but this is my first time even stacking tiers, let alone doing a cake like this, so I'll just have to practice.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

LisaPeps Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 27

It was a 10-8-6 with a styrofoam cone on top with a base of 4". I bought a 1kg bag of each flavour of Cocoform, I had a lot left over though. You would probably be able to just buy 3 or 4 of the 250g ones. HTH

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 27

I did a cake similar to what you're trying to achieve here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2198049/chocolate-wrapped-cake

PM me and I'll help you through it. icon_biggrin.gif

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 7:24am
post #15 of 27

I'm from the UK, and thought I'd point you towards <a href="www.craftcompany.co.uk">CraftCompany.co.uk</a> for future reference - they sell a whole ton of stuff, and it's all pretty reasonably priced too - mostly even cheaper than Amazon, and certainly cheaper than any of the stores I've found icon_smile.gif

I make my modelling chocolate out of Tesco cake covering - the flavour isn't amazing, but it's often good enough for decoration. It also doesn't get oily at all, and holds it's shape pretty well icon_smile.gif

midori1999 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:17pm
post #16 of 27

Bobwonderbuns, that is amazing! Thanks so much for the offer of help via PM, I've only just seen it and I think I've managed to get the cake to an acceptable ish standard now.

Myxstorie, thankyou. I do usually use that company for things but the cocoform is still just as expensive sadly. It's not that I don't think it's worth the money, but it's a lot to spend on a 'practice cake'.

Anyway, here it is. I'm especially unhappy with the top, but I can live with it. Going to order some cocoform and use it to make a similar cake for my husband's birthday in a couple of weeks so I can practice more.

Thanks again so much for all the help, it really made a difference!

jgifford Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:28pm
post #17 of 27

Wow! I'm impressed. I think you did a wonderful job - - especially for your first time. We're going to have to keep an eye on you. Great cake! thumbs_up.gif

myxstorie Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:34pm
post #18 of 27

Yeah, the cocoform is a bit of a rip off :/ I bought £5 worth so that I could see how similar (or dissimilar) my homemade modelling chocolate was, and was rather horrified at how little there is, especially considering how simple it is to make.

Can I ask what recipe you used for your modelling chocolate? It looks beautiful! The cake is absolutely stunning, you should be proud icon_biggrin.gif

midori1999 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:45pm
post #19 of 27

Thankyou both, you've made my day! I was a bit worried about my friend seeing it.

The modelling chocolate recipe I used was 1KG of milk chocolate to 380g of glucose syrup. (it was just the one from Asda, it comes in a 140g tube and I used Asda own chocolate, the mid priced range, not the really cheap one. For the white choc I put in a bit less glucose syrup. It was quite hard to work with but I wiped off any excess cocoa butter once it was rolled and then popped in the fridge for a few minutes before putting on the cake. (too much cocoa butter left on created a whitish 'bloom' on the chocolate in the fridge) it does have quite a lot of copper lustre dust on it, which made it look much better!

Thanks again for all the help!

myxstorie Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:00pm
post #20 of 27

Thank you! I used golden syrup in mine (which I'd seen recommended elsewhere) and it was a little too soft, so I think I may have to run out and get some glucose this weekend and have another pop at it 8D

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:29pm
post #21 of 27

I think your cake turned out beautiful! I haven't tried that method yet, but you've inspired me! I love your "don't give up" attitude! Be proud of yourself!

jgifford Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:32pm
post #22 of 27

So put it in your photos already so I can favorite it! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:40pm
post #23 of 27

Wow! You did a wonderful job on it!! That's a very lovely cake. Great work!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LisaPeps Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:50pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxstorie

Yeah, the cocoform is a bit of a rip off :/ I bought £5 worth so that I could see how similar (or dissimilar) my homemade modelling chocolate was, and was rather horrified at how little there is, especially considering how simple it is to make.

Can I ask what recipe you used for your modelling chocolate? It looks beautiful! The cake is absolutely stunning, you should be proud icon_biggrin.gif

The Cocoform is expensive but you can roll it out really thin and it stills holds its shape perfectly. The smell and taste of it is divine as well!

The recipe for white chocolate and milk chocolate modelling chocolate is a little more complex than dark chocolate so that could be why it didn't work quite as well.

The recipe for white/ milk is:

80g (1/3 cup) water
120g (1/2 cup) sugar
300g (1cup) glucose
100g (1cup) cocoa butter tablets
1000g (7cups) milk (37%) or white chocolate couverture, melted

Boil water and sugar together until fully dissolved. Add the glucose, stir to combine over the heat but do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add the cocoa butter. Stir until all the ingredients are fully combined.
Have your melted chocolate as cool as possible in a bowl. Add the syrup to the bowl, stir to combine. If the chocolate is too warn the cocoa butter will rise to the surface.
Table the mixture on marble until it forms a paste (knead it on a cool surface if you don't have marble).

myxstorie Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:02pm
post #25 of 27

Thanks so much, LP! Can I ask what cocoa butter tablets are? I had a look at Amazon and done a quick Google search, only to come up empty handed :/ are they the same as cocoa butter chips?

huntlilbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntlilbel Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:29pm
post #26 of 27

your final product really came out beautiful!!! I have never made one like that nor have I worked with chocolate icon_redface.gif
from seeing your first pic of it and then your final... VERY IMPRESSED!!! you have inspired me to want to try something new icon_biggrin.gif

LisaPeps Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 6:41pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxstorie

Thanks so much, LP! Can I ask what cocoa butter tablets are? I had a look at Amazon and done a quick Google search, only to come up empty handed :/ are they the same as cocoa butter chips?

Yea it'd be the same as chips. If you are weighing the ingredients, solid cocoa butter chopped up would work too. It just needs to be in a tablet/chip form so that it melts easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%