Covering A Cake Board With Fondant

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 3:46am by sweetcakes

Alwayzmakincake Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 9:40am
post #1 of 7

So last night I was going to start covering my cake board with fondant. I rolled out Michele Foster's fondant and put it on the cake board and got tons of air bubbles! By the time I was done poking holes, I had to take all of the fondant off. What do you think could have caused this?

6 replies
mcaulir Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 11:18am
post #2 of 7

Sometimes folding to much air into your fondant while kneading can give lots of air bubbles.

HappyCake10609 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 7

I just recently started covering my boards with fondant and when I started I had problems with a lot of air bubbles too! A couple of things I do to help...

1- Make sure your board is coated well with whatever you're using to stick it (I've used shortening and piping gel- I like shortening better). Any bare spots are likely to form bubbles...

2- When you're smoothing it, you can gently lift the edges to push the bubbles out and smooth it as you lay the fondant back down.

3- And finally, any remaining bubbles I try to "push" towards the center as I smooth, so if I have to poke a hole to let the air out, it's generally just one and in an area that will be covered by cake.

Hope that helps!

Alwayzmakincake Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you very much! Great advice.

ajwonka Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:58am
post #5 of 7

I use a fondant smoother and work from the middle out (after coating the board with piping gel). Because I don't wrap the fondant around the edge of the board (I edge with ribbon), the air bubbles work their way out towards the board edge. I don't trim the excess fondant until it's smooth.

Don't give up! Covering boards with fondant looks so nice!

DeniseNH Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

Try adding a bit more powdered sugar to your fondant. I find that the smoothest fondants are a little stiffer.

sweetcakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:46am
post #7 of 7

you can also use a round cookie cutter and cut the very middle out and work your airpockets towards the center too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%