Covering A Cake Board With Fondant

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 3:46am by sweetcakes

Alwayzmakincake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 9:40am
post #1 of 7

So last night I was going to start covering my cake board with fondant. I rolled out Michele Foster's fondant and put it on the cake board and got tons of air bubbles! By the time I was done poking holes, I had to take all of the fondant off. What do you think could have caused this?

6 replies
 mcaulir  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 11:18am
post #2 of 7

Sometimes folding to much air into your fondant while kneading can give lots of air bubbles.

HappyCake10609  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 7

I just recently started covering my boards with fondant and when I started I had problems with a lot of air bubbles too! A couple of things I do to help...

1- Make sure your board is coated well with whatever you're using to stick it (I've used shortening and piping gel- I like shortening better). Any bare spots are likely to form bubbles...

2- When you're smoothing it, you can gently lift the edges to push the bubbles out and smooth it as you lay the fondant back down.

3- And finally, any remaining bubbles I try to "push" towards the center as I smooth, so if I have to poke a hole to let the air out, it's generally just one and in an area that will be covered by cake.

Hope that helps!

Alwayzmakincake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you very much! Great advice.

ajwonka  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:58am
post #5 of 7

I use a fondant smoother and work from the middle out (after coating the board with piping gel). Because I don't wrap the fondant around the edge of the board (I edge with ribbon), the air bubbles work their way out towards the board edge. I don't trim the excess fondant until it's smooth.

Don't give up! Covering boards with fondant looks so nice!

DeniseNH  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

Try adding a bit more powdered sugar to your fondant. I find that the smoothest fondants are a little stiffer.

sweetcakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:46am
post #7 of 7

you can also use a round cookie cutter and cut the very middle out and work your airpockets towards the center too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%