Black Forest Cake - Can I Make It On Friday For Saturday?

Decorating By yertle Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 6:48pm by Spooky_789

yertle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yertle Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 3:41am
post #1 of 13

I am making a Black Forest cake for Saturday. So I don't have to get up at 1am, I was wondering if I could make it and assemble it on Friday? I would put the finishing touches on Saturday morning, but I would love to be able to the cake the day before (it's needed at 10am - which means I have to leave home at 8am)

Thanks

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 3:44am
post #2 of 13

Why not? Many people make cakes on Tues or Wed for Sat deliveries.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:15am
post #3 of 13

If it's true black forest with whipping cream, it needs to be refrigerated but a single day in advance is no problem at all.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:17am
post #4 of 13

Use stabilized whipped cream or don't do it.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 13

A true black forest cake needs a day to rest after assembly. but you need (nowadays stabilised) whipped cream, cherries and some Kirsch, for these flavours to combine, it needs to rest in a cool place. Take out of refridgeration 2 hrs prior to serving, no cake should be eaten cold (takes or rather weakens the taste)

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 13

A client once kept her BF cake for more than a week. She said it was more delicious than first day. I normally bake Wednesday, decorate Thursday and deliver Friday. (I have a day job). Clients always comment on how fresh the cakes are.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 13

Funny, I am also doing a black forest cake for Saturday. I am stabilizing the whipped cream with cooked cornstarch which I read in Cooks Illustrated. Apparently it remains stable for up to 48 hours, so I am making the filling tomorrow evening and icing and delivering Saturday.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 13

Yes you'll be fine and in my experience you don't need to stabilize the whipped cream unless you are doing a really thick filling layer. For me, I just do more, thinner layers (like 1/2") if I need to get more filling in there.

sweetnams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnams Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 13

You certainly can bake and assemble a day ahead. I don't use kirsch in my recipe but use cherries and whipped cream. I don't stabilize my whipped cream and it holds and pipes beautifully. I've never had it melt on me nor have customers complain about it. Here is a pic of one I've made before.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fsplkTxKiGI/S_rUAwYU2HI/AAAAAAAAZYo/FzUyfkq1HVk/s1600/IMG1_3682.jpg

yertle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yertle Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 12:02am
post #10 of 13

Thank-you everyone for your extremely helpful feedback.

I will be tackling the cake today (Nigella Lawson's recipe) and will hopefully have a happy cake at the end of it all. I am certainly less nervous than I was yesterday icon_smile.gif

My only question now, is should I cover the cake when it is in the fridge? or will it be OK just on it's own? We don't really have anything in our fridge that will transfer smells to the cake...

I have a 2 hour drive to the venue, so that should allow the cake time to de-fridge itself!

Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 12:53am
post #11 of 13

If the cake is iced (w/whipped cream, stabilized or not) it does not need to be covered in the frig.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:21am
post #12 of 13

If you're worried about it absorbing any odors, just put it in a box then wrap it.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 13

I often will box up my cakes, put in the fridge on a tea towel, and then remove just before the customer comes to pick up. Not only to help prevent any smells from being absorbed, but to also prevent anything from accidentally getting on the cake while in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%