Hard To Tint Confectioner's Choice Fondant...is It Just Me?

Decorating By SweetHeartTart Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 9:31pm by BlakesCakes

SweetHeartTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeartTart Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 2

Hello all,

Just wanted to get your opinions for those of you out there who use Confectioner's Choice fondant. Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful fondant to work with and tints lights colors really well, but when it comes to dark colors (blue, purple, brown, black...etc), this fondant fails miserably. Sometimes it takes me a tonne of experimenting with several different colors (plus lots of $$ spent on gel colors) to get a 'similar' color to what I'm trying to achieve, but if I'm crunched for time, I find myself going out to buy other brands of fondant for those specific darker colors.
Mostly I use Wilton gel colors...could it be the gel or is it the fondant?
Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 reply
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 2

I have no experience with this brand of fondant, but if it doesn't contain titanium dioxide (whitener), then it's like Massa Grischuna Neutral and that won't take color the same way the Americana (that has titanium dioxide in it), either. Also, if it has an unusually high fat content, that can make it resistant to accepting color, too.

You could try adding in some whitener, let it rest, and then add color.

You may also have more success with powdered colors.

I've used Wilton, Americolor, and Chef Master colors. I can't say that any one is less intense than the other, so I'd be inclined to say it's the ingredients in the fondant.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%