Need Help With Groom's Cake

Decorating By CyndeeK Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 4:38pm by DianeLM

CyndeeK Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a groom's cake for my son. He would like a cake shaped like Toomer's Drug store from Auburn University. If you google Toomer's Drugs you can find pictures to show what I am talking about. This building is two-storied with a flat awning separating the two stories. I need suggestions for building and supporting the awning which should be about 1/2" thick by 9-10 "long by 1 1/2" deep.

This is my first attempt at cake decorating. I have tried using gum paste but it broke (probably because it was long and heavy. Thinking about using rice krispie treats supported by dowels as columns. The cake is four 8" layers of strawberry cake separated by cake boards between the second and third layers. No fondant on the cake, only crusting buttercream.

The wedding is mid-June on the beach in south Alabama.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

1 reply
DianeLM Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 2

Since you're new at this, I would suggest you make the awning from a piece of corrugated cardboard. You can cover the top and side with thinly rolled fondant or gumpaste. Insert skewers or toothpicks into the corrugation 'holes' so you can push them into the cake.

For the columns, I'd suggest skewers covered with fondant or royal icing. To do royal icing covered skewers, attach a large round tip to your icing bag. Insert the skewer up into the bag through the tip as far as you can. Slowly pull the skewer out while gently squeezing the bag. The skewer will emerge with a nice even coat of icing. Poke the skewer into a piece of styrofoam and allow to dry overnight. When it's time to use them, you can cut off the excess skewer with a wire cutters.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%