How To Prevent Bulging

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 5:46pm by Skirt

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

I am about to do my first 3 tiered cake for my daughter's 18th birthday. I have stacked a few small cakes before and had some bulging. How do I prevent this? Each tier will be about 4" thick, and I will definately use support. Should they be ok if I use support? I am doing a thin layer of buttercream and MMF on each layer. The sizes are 10, 8 and 6.

Thanks

3 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 4

If you are using filling make sure you have a good dam to contain it. Also, if you can fill, crumbcaot/ice and then let the cake settle before putting on the MMF, that might help. To prevent tiers from squishing into one another, be sure to use enough support and make sure each tier is level! I use bubble tea straws but there are MANY opinions on what to use for support. Good Luck!

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I am only doing BC icing between the cakes. I don't have experience with making different fillings, plus it's chocolate cake with chocolate icing..lol we loveeee our chocolate. Should I ice them and put each tier in the fridge or just leave them out covered overnight?

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

You could always fill your layers with chocolate ganache... icon_smile.gif

I don't refrigerate my cakes but others swear by it. Are you more worried about one cake causing another to bulge? If so, level solid supports under a good cake board will prevent that from happening ! Just remember, whatever you use for supports, cut them all the same length. That seems obvious but some people stick one support in, measure that one then cut. then they repeat for the next support, based on the height of the icing at that spot. Unless your icing is 100% level, you will end up with an uneven support system...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%