If You View Or Favorite A Picture, Do You Comment??

Lounge By trishalynn0708 Updated 29 Feb 2012 , 2:50pm by chelleb1974

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 21

I was just wondering how everyone feel's about other's favorting a picture or viewing it and not commenting??? I feel this way about it, If I take the time to click on a picture to view it or I love it so much I favorite it, I am already in the comments section of the picture, so I just leave a quick comment.

But I was just wondering how everyone else feel's about it... If you view or favorite a photo, do you leave a comment???

OR

If you post a picture and see other's favoriting it or a lot of views on your photo but with no comment's, does that bother you??

**Note** This is just something I was wondering about, not trying to step on any toes or anything, I just wanted to see what other's thought's were on this!! =)

20 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 21

IMO the act of viewing or adding as a favorite is a de facto comment, it means that the person thought it was interesting enough to look at and liked it enough to add it to their favorites. If you don't have anything to add other than that you liked the cake, there's no reason to add an additional comment -- of course you are free to add a comment if you want, just know that not everyone shares your opinion that comments are required when viewing/favoriting.

Also, some people view CC on a mobile device, so typing in a comment may require more than a trivial effort.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 21

I figure if I like a cake so much that I might want to try and make a similar one in the future (or want to try a similar technique at a later date) and therefore add it to my favorites, its as good as a comment. If the front page thumbnail inmterests me enough to have a closer look at a particular cake, the record of me having viewed is also as good as a comment. I generally only comment when I have something specific to say about a particular cake. Likewise, it doesn't hurt my feelings any when people view my cakes without commenting. The fact that they took a closer look is enough to stroke my ego. If I left a comment on every cake I viewed I'd have no time to bake myself. Besides, there's only so many times one can type 'beautiful' or 'elegant', and getting constant e-mail messages telling one that they've got another message that says 'beautiful', without any indication of WHY the viewer thinks so, seems to be a waste of bandwidth and e-mail space.

trishalynn0708 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 21

As I said in my original post, I was just curious as to what everyone else thinks about viewing and commenting... Was not saying any way is right or wrong or that I am upset about people viewing and not commenting.. Just thought it would be an interesting topic to see what other's thought....

So just want to clear that up again!!! =)

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalynn0708

As I said in my original post, I was just curious as to what everyone else thinks about viewing and commenting... Was not saying any way is right or wrong or that I am upset about people viewing and not commenting.. Just thought it would be an interesting topic to see what other's thought....

So just want to clear that up again!!! =)

thumbs_up.gif

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 21

If something comes to my mind, I'll leave a comment. Sometimes I'm looking at so many that it just isn't possible for me to leave a comment on each. But if I feel like I want to tell something, I will. Otherwise, I just favorite it.

So sorta off topic.... I'm silly, I have a cake I made for my little 2 year old boy that I thought looked pretty cute. He just adores it, which is the best favorite I can possibly have. =) But I decided that it needed a comment. So I complimented myself and then thanked myself. LoL. Yeah, I'm a goof ball. =)

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

If something comes to my mind, I'll leave a comment. Sometimes I'm looking at so many that it just isn't possible for me to leave a comment on each. But if I feel like I want to tell something, I will. Otherwise, I just favorite it.

So sorta off topic.... I'm silly, I have a cake I made for my little 2 year old boy that I thought looked pretty cute. He just adores it, which is the best favorite I can possibly have. =) But I decided that it needed a comment. So I complimented myself and then thanked myself. LoL. Yeah, I'm a goof ball. =)

How funny! icon_lol.gif I never thought of that. But to answer the OP, I'll leave a comment if there's something I particularly like and I'm thrilled when folks even look at my photos. And if they favorite one, that's just icing on the cake! icon_lol.gif

trishalynn0708 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:

I had to go investigate! Your cake is super cute and your comment and reply made me laugh!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 21

I only favorite cakes where I plan on using a design or technique later on and I want to be able to come back to it quickly. I comment on a lot more cakes then I favorite. I don't comment on all cakes. I look at it this way, if I have an emotional reaction to a cake, I leave a comment and it might be as simple as "Wow". If there is a great cake that already has tons of comments, I usually don't leave one. If I notice a cake I like that no one else has commented on, I tend to add a comment because I feel that cake warrented the recognition. Also don't forget, lots of non-native English speakers on this site so people may favorite something and just not feel confident enough to comment in English. I wish people would put descriptions and comment in their native language. I love to see it.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 21

If I view a cake and then favorite it, I believe that's an adequate compliment. I only make a comment if the cake/cookies are mind-boggling; in other words, I cannot figure out how they did that!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 11:12am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I only favorite cakes where I plan on using a design or technique later on and I want to be able to come back to it quickly. I comment on a lot more cakes then I favorite. I don't comment on all cakes. I look at it this way, if I have an emotional reaction to a cake, I leave a comment and it might be as simple as "Wow". If there is a great cake that already has tons of comments, I usually don't leave one. If I notice a cake I like that no one else has commented on, I tend to add a comment because I feel that cake warrented the recognition.

This is pretty much what I do too.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalynn0708

Quote:

I had to go investigate! Your cake is super cute and your comment and reply made me laugh!

I'm glad. =) And thank you for the compliment! =)

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 21

You could also do a search. This is another one of those topics which has been discussed ad nauseum.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 21

I honestly cannot remember a time where I've favorited a photo without leaving a comment. I believe it's just a courtesy thing. I don't think it's reasonable to leave a comment on every single photo you look at, but it's a really nice thing to do. Everyone likes to receive positive reinforcement!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 21

When I first began looking around on CC, I enjoyed viewing the cakes. I thought it was okay to just look and enjoy the incredible talent and artwork. But then I saw a thread where a few people commented about the rude practice of not leaving a comment. I felt awful; so I stopped looking.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

When I first began looking around on CC, I enjoyed viewing the cakes. I thought it was okay to just look and enjoy the incredible talent and artwork. But then I saw a thread where a few people commented about the rude practice of not leaving a comment. I felt awful; so I stopped looking.

That was probably said by someone (or several someones) who posts photos just to get comments. I'm all for positive reinforcement, but we should all be grownups here. There are some who are here just to look and others here just for the forums. There are some who have never posted a photo. Don't let a few keep you from enjoying the gorgeous cakes on here or guilt you into leaving comments you don't mean.

GeminiRJ Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 8:51pm
post #17 of 21

MimiFix, no one will know if you look but don't leave a comment, so don't feel guilty about it! I only have a problem when someone starts to favorite everything in my photo gallery without a single comment. It's kinda creepy, actually, like you're being stalked. Then when you find that someone has taken your photo and added it to their website with THEIR watermark, it gets very upsetting! So you become even more sensitive the next time someone starts favoriting lots of your photos. Favorite one, I can see it as a compliment. Favorite 20, and it's something else entirely!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Feb 2012 , 9:08pm
post #18 of 21

Thank you for the replies, jgifford and GeminiRJ.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:45am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

MimiFix, no one will know if you look but don't leave a comment, so don't feel guilty about it! I only have a problem when someone starts to favorite everything in my photo gallery without a single comment. It's kinda creepy, actually, like you're being stalked. Then when you find that someone has taken your photo and added it to their website with THEIR watermark, it gets very upsetting! So you become even more sensitive the next time someone starts favoriting lots of your photos. Favorite one, I can see it as a compliment. Favorite 20, and it's something else entirely!

Wow - I wouldn't look at it that way at all! In fact, often when I find a great photo, it's quite likely that others in the person's gallery will also be something I'd like to save. I'm not sure how you actually see if the same person has favourite-d your photos?

Back on topic, I leave a comment when I see something that just impresses me for whatever reason, but doesn't already have stacks of comments. I'm usually quite specific about what I like: colour combination, design, figurines, etc.

I love getting, but don't expect, comments.

Also it bears keeping in mind that I can see an absolutely amazing cake, but won't save it because it's so far out of my league that there's no chance I could replicate it. And sometimes save things that aren't particularly great, but I like the colour combination or just want to remember the boarder.

GeminiRJ Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:58am
post #20 of 21

mcaulir, I probably should've been more specific. The multiple saves happened on my flickr photostream, which tells who is doing the saving. But it then makes you wonder when it happens elsewhere if there's more to it than just a simple liking of the photo. As I said, you get sensitive. It's a shock to see your photo being passed off as someone else's.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 29 Feb 2012 , 2:50pm
post #21 of 21

I mostly look through the cakes on CC when I'm looking for ideas for a cake. At those times, it's not unheard of for me to browse through 1000's of thumbnails (using search) and probably click on 200-300 pictures. I favorite any that have elements I would like to use so I can quickly find them again. I sometimes comment, but it's rare. If I have a question about a technique on a cake, I will PM the person that did the cake, rather than asking in Comments.

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%