Magnolia Vanilla Cup Cake Mixed Reviews...help Please

Baking By tex8798 Updated 16 Feb 2012 , 3:43am by Osgirl

tex8798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tex8798 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

im making vanilla cupcakes for my daughters friend baby shower this coming Sunday. I've been searching for a moist homemade vanilla cupcake recipe. I've seen magnolia vanilla cupcake recipe but it calls for Aunt jemima self rising flour and pure as snow cake flour ( high ratio) I don't have any at local stores. Most reviews I've seen with people using self rising and regular cake flour or even doctored cake flour say they don't rise properly. Should I attempt to make them or try another recipe. Help please or could you suggest a good recipe that is moist and rises so I can get even cupcakes. Thank you for any help.

4 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 1:23am
post #2 of 5

I checked the recipe. I could not find any specific brands nominated by the authors {?}
http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2005/0743246616_2.html
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour [not cake flour]
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour [no brand]

Using the substitution: 1 cups self-rising = 1 cup all purpose Flour + 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder + 1/2 teaspoon Salt
then
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
is
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder

3/4 teaspoon Salt

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:52am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

I checked the recipe. I could not find any specific brands nominated by the authors {?}

Using the substitution: 1 cups self-rising = 1 cup all purpose Flour + 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder + 1/2 teaspoon Salt
then
is

3/4 teaspoon Salt

my niece in laws baby shower was last week. I volunteered to make cupcakes.I never have much trouble with scratch cakes. I dont usually do cupcakes. Ive read on here some really hate them and that box mixes are better for more even results in cupcakes. well I wanted to make them from scratch because I think they taste better . I also wanted to use vanilla beans never have before . I tried the ultimate vanilka cupcake recipe and billy best or something . First let me say I think I had some sad overpriced vanilla beans with not much flavor from walmart . I live in the middle of nowhere.The ultimate vanilla cupcake was morelike a corn muffin and not much flavor . The beans were gritty or Igot some of the pod in the batter. The billys best was fluffy but i overbaked it the second batch was ok but not much flavor . OK I was running out of time and I work fulltime and had to drive 200 miles to the. shower . So I went and got a couple boxes of Duncan Hines . I used the WASC recipe and extra vanilla . Every cupcake was moist even beautiful. and tasted great ! I read up on vanilla beans and vanilla paste is the way to go . I ordered 2 bottles on amazon that arrived
yesterday . I still plan to give the ultimate vanilla cupcake another shot with vanilla paste.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 6:44am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

then
is

3/4 teaspoon Salt

my niece in laws baby shower was last week. I volunteered to make cupcakes.I never have much trouble with scratch cakes. I dont usually do cupcakes. Ive read on here some really hate them and that box mixes are better for more even results in cupcakes. well I wanted to make them from scratch because I think they taste better . I also wanted to use vanilla beans never have before . I tried the ultimate vanilka cupcake recipe and billy best or something . First let me say I think I had some sad overpriced vanilla beans with not much flavor from walmart . I live in the middle of nowhere.The ultimate vanilla cupcake was morelike a corn muffin and not much flavor . The beans were gritty or Igot some of the pod in the batter. The billys best was fluffy but i overbaked it the second batch was ok but not much flavor . OK I was running out of time and I work fulltime and had to drive 200 miles to the. shower . So I went and got a couple boxes of Duncan Hines . I used the WASC recipe and extra vanilla . Every cupcake was moist even beautiful. and tasted great ! I read up on vanilla beans and vanilla paste is the way to go . I ordered 2 bottles on amazon that arrived
yesterday . I still plan to give the ultimate vanilla cupcake another shot with vanilla paste.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 3:43am
post #5 of 5

I love this recipe:

http://www.oprah.com/food/Vanilla-Peppermint-Cupcakes

Omit the peppermint and add in an extra tsp (or even a little more) of vanilla. You can also add in some seeds from a vanilla bean for even more flavor.

These cupcakes have a wonderful moist flavor and have a perfectly domed shape. I bake them at 400 for 5 minutes and then turn down to 350 for the remainder of the time. Their recipe says 20-25 minutes, but for super moist it's about 17 min in my oven.

The other great thing-the ingredients are all regular ingredients that you probably have on hand. If you don't have a vanilla bean, you can add an extra tsp of vanilla. I know vanilla bean is flavorful but the equivalent of one is about 1 tsp of vanilla.

I've tried SEVERAL vanilla cupcake recipes from famous bakeries (and not so famous!) and this is my favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%