Help!!! Icing Emergancy!!!

Baking By mommabeaver25 Updated 14 Feb 2012 , 5:17am by jason_kraft

mommabeaver25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabeaver25 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:24am
post #1 of 10

i hope some one is still one here so late. I'm making cupcakes for my daughters class tomorrow. The teacher is allergic to shortening. So I asked the other day what to do about making buttercream icing. I was told by one person to just use all butter. So I did but now I have a a thin batter consistancy icing. I added another pound of powder sugar but it didn't help. what can I do to salvage this icing with out adding shortening???

9 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:44am
post #2 of 10

hi im sorry this is happening to you.
how much butter did you use?
a couple of other options:
can you make your daughters class cupcakes with the shortening receipe you are used to and make a cupcake for her teacher with powdered sugar on it. or maybe some melted chocolate?
or do you have cream cheese at home and make all the cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting.
i know late cake emergencies are horrible.
i hope you can salvage your buttercream or have ingredients to make something else.
HTH

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:52am
post #3 of 10

It might help to know the recipe you're using. I am not sure how buttercream gets to batter consistency unless the butter was melted.

mommabeaver25 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 4:55am
post #4 of 10

The butter wasn't melted. my normal recipe is 1 stick butter, 1 1/2 c. crisco, 1/4 c. water, 2 lbs powder sugar, 2 tsp. vanilla. I sub the crisco with butter so it was 2 c. total butter. 1/4 c. water, 3 lbs powder suage, 2 tsp. vanilla. I think it was too much butter.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:03am
post #5 of 10

I'm wondering if it's too much water. Butter has a much higher water content than shortening. That's all I can think of. Wish I could be more help. Hopefully someone else will have some thoughts.

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:04am
post #6 of 10

How about trying 7 minute frosting? It is simply, sugar, light corn syrup, egg whites and vanilla.

Recipe is on Martha Stewart.com/recipes

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:07am
post #7 of 10

What specifically in the shortening is the teacher allergic to?

mommabeaver25 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:14am
post #8 of 10

The teacher is allergic to the soy in the crisco. Our health food store didn't sell the soy free kind

mommabeaver25 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:15am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merry

How about trying 7 minute frosting? It is simply, sugar, light corn syrup, egg whites and vanilla.

Recipe is on Martha Stewart.com/recipes

is this one good for piping?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 5:17am
post #10 of 10

Whole Foods should carry Spectrum palm oil shortening if you have time tomorrow to pick some up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%