Topsy Turvey Transporting Help

Decorating By chenya Updated 14 Feb 2012 , 3:04am by kimbm04r

chenya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chenya Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 4

I am planning on making my first topsy turvey cake for a my neice's 6th birthday in April. The party will be a 1/2 hour from here. Doesn't sound bad till you add in the fact you are transporting fragile cake. I understand you need to support the cake. I am going to do that for sure.

I'm undecided on how many layers. 2 or 3? It will depend on the amount of guests. I really want 3...to be honest. I think they look better, but we also don't want to be eating cake for a month. LOL! RIght now the layers I am planning are 6,9 and 12 or 9 and 6...depending on which way we go.

Besides needing to support the cake are there any other tips I should know before hand on transporting this or even making this. I already found the instructions on this site that I plan to follow when making.

I am scared to death. I can see a cake disaster waiting to happen.

3 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 4

Don't use a slippery filling. Only use buttercream or ganache as the filling. Are you doing fondant? If so, use the ganache under fondant technique. It really really adds to the stability of the cake.

Make sure you have a flat surface and consider adding the 3rd tier whenn you get thereicon_smile.gif Hope that helps a little.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 1:31am
post #3 of 4

Use fondant, use a center dowel, use the carving-out-the-hole method of assemble and the #1 tip: transport COLD!

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4

The first one I made for practice (actually both I have made are practice) slid on me even though I had a support in it. The second one I made was AFTER I got Sharon Zambito's Totally Topsy Turvy DVD.

I highly recommend getting this DVD, you won't be sorry. It helped me a lot and mine was buttercream/ganache.
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%