Why Does My Buttercream Look Like This.... ??

Baking By kirsty1704 Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 5:59pm by stephdover4

kirsty1704 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsty1704 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 8

have been trying to dye my buttercream (red) but am having bother as to why it looks like the dye isn't soaking into the mixture? It is going red but it would seem theres like streaks of dye running right through it giving it a two tone effect.

I have mixed and mixed and even got the electric mixer out thinking i'm not mixing it enough but it just doesn't seem to even itself out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 8

What consistancy of icing did you start with? If you started with a soft med or thin and then added alot of coloring to get the red I have found it throws the balance between liquid and powder sugar. It seperates.

Just add in some more powder sugar or some cornstarch. That has always helped me.

When I make dark colors I always start with thicker icing, to make up for the extra liquid added with the coloring.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 8

What type of buttercream (ABC vs. I/SMBC) and coloring (thin water based vs. paste water based vs. oil based) are you using?

kirsty1704 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsty1704 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 8

its not thin the consistency and its not thick - its ideal to pipe and doesn't run or anything. (if anything its probably near to thin so i will try adding more icing sugar - thanks)

I'm sorry i'm new to this but i don't know what (ABC vs. I/SMBC) is icon_redface.gif my buttercream is just icing sugar, tad of vanilla & butter.

I was using liquid colouring but found it did just this to yesterday bought some paste and its done exactly the same.

thanks for your help so far thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 8

ABC - American Butter Cream
Typically Crisco/Butter, Powder Sugar, liquid and flavoring.

IMBC - Itilain Meringue Butter Cream
Egg whites, sugar, butter and flavoring.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 8

SMBC = Swiss meringue buttercream

hema128s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hema128s Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 8

thats happened to me before too.. i've realized that it happens when i sort of over whip my swiss meringue buttercream (is that even possible?) but when i remelt it a bit and whip it again, it rights itself..

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 8

good tip I was given was to make it a day or two ahead of time...it always works for red icing for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%