Photo Cake Toppers

Decorating By SweetJV Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 10:37pm by icingimages

SweetJV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetJV Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 2

This is probably a very BEGINNER question LOL, but I am just that -- a BEGINNER! I've been doing cakes for myself and close family for about a year now, but am now being asked to do it for others. I haven't felt confident enough in my work to actually charge for a cake just yet, but the requests keep coming.

I have someone asking for a Justin Bieber cake -- and while I don't have the access to an edible printer, I have seen some cakes that have "toppers" or pictures in what appears to be fondant perhaps coming out of the cake on sticks in shapes like hearts and stars. So my question is...you apparently do not eat these, can I just print a picture on a thick cardstock like paper and affix them to fondant cutouts to come out of the cake? Or is it even fondant? I'm so new to this and am really self-teaching myself. There aren't really any classes or anything in my area that I can take. Any suggestions or help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

1 reply
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 2

If it is not edible, just make sure everyone is aware of that. Otherwise, there are two basic ways of doing that. First is to have the image printed, put it on gumpaste or 50/50 and cut around it. Make sure you put a dowl in it so it can stand up. The other is to use the Silhouette and its software. Print the image using the software, and then cut around it using the silhouette. The silhouette can cut directly on gumpaste as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%