Cake Pop Chocolate Too Thick

Decorating By zespri Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 10:20am by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 7:17am
post #1 of 4

I tried doing cakepops for the first time tonight. My chocolate was so thick it was impossible to get a smooth coating. So I added some vegetable shortening to thin it, which it did, but it still didn't seem like enough. I ended up having to add a LOT of shortening to get it thin enough, but then it didn't taste good...arrgh!! I wondered if I had to make the chocolate hotter to get it thinner, then I just burned the chocolate... *sigh*

How do you get your chocolate thin enough to use? Or do you just put it on there thick?

Those Wilton candy melts that most bloggers seem to use aren't easy to get here, I used a brand of compound chocolate that I've used before to pipe decorations with great success.

Am I expecting too much for it to be a thin coating? Do I have to accept it thick? And if so, then how do you get a smooth surface?

P.S. I had some left over royal icing last night so tried dipping one in that... lol! Total fail.

3 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 8:22am
post #2 of 4

Compound chocolate, is that couverture?

Try 8 oz chocolate, 2 oz. butter and 1 tbsp. corn syrup. It will thin out into a nice glaze that will cool fudge-like. If you want more snap to your coating, temper your chocolate first and do less butter.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 9:35am
post #3 of 4

I have added vegetable oil to chocolate with great success.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 10:20am
post #4 of 4

you're a darling! I actually thought of you as I was doing it, as I know you've experimented a lot with it, I remember a post you made saying you didn't want those nasty chocolate melts, or something along those lines... lol

BTW, compound chocolate = pretty much those nasty chocolate melts. Not real chocolate. AKA wafer chocolate, candy melts etc etc.

Thank you, I can't wait to try it again now icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Compound chocolate, is that couverture?

Try 8 oz chocolate, 2 oz. butter and 1 tbsp. corn syrup. It will thin out into a nice glaze that will cool fudge-like. If you want more snap to your coating, temper your chocolate first and do less butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%