Fondant Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By JerseyJudy Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 3:35am by ajwonka

JerseyJudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerseyJudy Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 1:04am
post #1 of 3

New here and let me start by saying that I've never used fondant before. I'm just a mom with an idea for a cake for her son and I need some help, please.

I'm under a time constraint and was wondering if there is a way that I can make something. Let me start by saying that I do not want to 'cover' a cake in fondant. What I'd like to do is to make a fondant circle for the top of the cake only. My questions is this...can I make one about a week ahead of time and somehow store it to use when I'm ready? And if so, how would I store it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 1:28am
post #2 of 3

Yes, you can make a circle ahead of time and store it. I'd store it in a gallon size baggie, plastic wrap or press 'n seal. Keep it out of direct sunlight so it doesn't fade.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:35am
post #3 of 3

By all means you can make it early! If it will lie flat on the top of the cake, follow previous post & store between layers of saran. If it'll go on a curved surface, make sure you form it first as it will dry slightly. I've found that store bought fondant dries more quickly than homemade (see mmf recipes on here). Good luck! No matter what, I'm sure your son will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%